free website stats program Stage 1 ????? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Stage 1 ?????

o.k i am new to all of this
But if i have HD dealer upload Stage one into my bike DO i need this TFI unit ?
the upload will not do what the TFI does?
What is the difference ??:small3d023:

The dealer download is still lean for EPA and is not adjustable at all. The TFI can be set any way you want to set it.

That's about the size of it and a bit hotter and possibly surging too with the dealer download has been a problem in the past.

That's about the size of it and a bit hotter and possibly surging too with the dealer download has been a problem in the past.

K thanks have to watch out for that and go from there.
I thought i was going to be better off going with HD. live and learn

I've got the stage 1 dealer download as well. I haven't had a problem with surging, but I am concerned about running too hot. Would the TFI significantly reduce the oil temp, or am I better off installing a cooler? If I go with the TFI, how will that work with the download? Would I have to redownload the original map?

I've got the stage 1 dealer download as well. I haven't had a problem with surging, but I am concerned about running too hot. Would the TFI significantly reduce the oil temp, or am I better off installing a cooler? If I go with the TFI, how will that work with the download? Would I have to redownload the original map?

The TFI will reduce the temps a bit but not make it a new engine as far as temps. The heat comes from a lean mixture and the additional fuel will help to cool it off a bit besides making it run better. The TFI in conjunction with the download would be OK, it just uses lower settings on the unit.

This should clear it up for you.

TFI Suggested Settings - Harley Davidson Community

As a follow-up with my TFi install, I am getting some popping on deceleration in the higher RPM ranges. This is only the case when downshifting and the throttle is fully closed. I know that this is kind of the "nature of the beast" (especially with the pre-'06 SEII slip-ons), but can I raise the 3rd pot slightly to offset this? I am guessing that she is running a little lean in the higher RPMs, but maybe my riding style is what "needs the adjusting." :s

PS: I did NOT have the Stage 1 download, so no increase in the rev limit.

Thanks for the help and input!

Raising the 3rd pot will do nothing unless you are up in the RPM's where that pot is working. The SE mufflers can aggravate this but also check that the mufflers are far enough on to the pipes and that there are no leaks at the joints.
Try a change in pot #1 but it may not help being that the factory mapping cuts fuel on decel.

Glider-
I have checked for exhaust leaks, and all seems well there. Below is a post you made back in July of last year in response to a gentleman with a 2003 Road King experiencing similar issues under closed throttle deceleration.

An occasional pop on decel can be heard even with the stock mufflers. The maps in these bikes cut the fuel on decel to a certain RPM and then reintroduce it again when the engine revs get lower. I have a feeling this is what is helping to get the pops.
Replacing the mufflers with aftermarket mufflers will accentuate the pops even more.

Your explanation makes perfect sense and explains my problems accurately as well. Out of curiosity, do you know why the mapping cuts fuel on decel and around what RPM fuel is reintroduced? Can the dealership download (or even a SERT) address this particular issue at all? Obviously, since the TFi is inline with the ECM, fuel can't be "added" when it isn't present at all. Also, would the popping frequency increase with engine/ambient temperatures?

Glider... you should really look into charging for advice, but only after you have answered all of my questions! :newsmile093: Thanks!!!

Glider-
I have checked for exhaust leaks, and all seems well there. Below is a post you made back in July of last year in response to a gentleman with a 2003 Road King experiencing similar issues under closed throttle deceleration.

Your explanation makes perfect sense and explains my problems accurately as well. Out of curiosity, do you know why the mapping cuts fuel on decel and around what RPM fuel is reintroduced? Can the dealership download (or even a SERT) address this particular issue at all? Obviously, since the TFi is inline with the ECM, fuel can't be "added" when it isn't present at all. Also, would the popping frequency increase with engine/ambient temperatures?

Glider... you should really look into charging for advice, but only after you have answered all of my questions! :newsmile093: Thanks!!!

Ok, this answer will cost you $15, do you want to hear it? :rofl

The removal of fuel is actually for two reasons, they are emissions and to stop the decel pop:D. That doesn't work in some cases because as I mentioned the low restriction mufflers tend to enhance this some.
If you pay close attention to the bike when you are decelerating in gear, there will come a point somewhere around 1800 RPM's plus or minus if I recall that the bike will actually give a very small lurch as it is decellerating, that is when the fuel is reintroduced again on decel. Before the fuel is reintroduced, it is coasting down rather smoothly with no fuel being added. It has been this way for many years and some bikes it is more obvious than others.
The SERT will actually do away with this feature because it is tunable as far as fuel an many other aspects too.

OK, where's my $15 :s

Back