free website stats program Some Theory on Ion Knock Sub-System | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Some Theory on Ion Knock Sub-System

Let me see if I can put all this information into some half baked theory. Please don’t flame me if I am wrong.
It sounds like HD runs as much retarded timing as possible, probably for better fuel economy and lower emissions. When the engine is run hard and ambient temp is high, this retarded timing is probably prone to pre-ignition aka detonation. Upon sensing this condition the ECM adds about 7 degrees of advance. This system should work well unless the sensor fails, but I would assume fault light would come on.

Let me see if I can put all this information into some half baked theory. Please don’t flame me if I am wrong.
It sounds like HD runs as much retarded timing as possible, probably for better fuel economy and lower emissions.

The run very advanced and the knock sensor will pull timing away from the engine if it needs to when it detects any knock through the use if the ION sensing that is on the twin cam engines.

no i think h/d is running excessive advance thats my read from it..
You are correct I got advance and retard backwards. when a distributor advances timing it increases the time of the spark befor the piston reaches top dead center compression. Thanks

That would explain why it would take a peg legged monkey ten days to kick the seeds out of a watermellon. All good information but a tad over my head. Some of you undoubtedly are more in the loop than I. It is nice to know that we do have people here who are very knowledgable though. We count on them.

My guess is the (3) carbon & (3) hydrogen atoms get converted into a compound made up (2) ion Hydrogen atoms, along with (2) carbon atoms and (1) carbon atom that either has 1 extra electron or 1 missing electron.

I really don't know but I do have a friend that may be able to explain it better if you want me to ask him.

I liked the report But also like the word UN-plug.... I could never figure where, TOO many plugs, So I'll just have to live with "what it does".. Thanks for the report.... I liked my Hammer on the intake better, easier for me to understand.

I never would have thought such a complex (to me) subject could be so entertaining. You guys are great. Keep the knowledge (and humor) coming. You're teaching a new Harley guy a lot this winter. A lot of things have been demystified for me by reading this forum. I use the help window the most now and what great teachers we have here. Thanks.

I wonder what the high and low mark is set at? I mean, different spark plugs, wires and wires having more resistance as they age, one tank of this fuel & one tank of that fuel, hot days,cold days, high humidity or low humidity. Carbon build-up. Head wind, tailwind.
One up or two up. Pulling trailer. With all these variables (and more I don't know of) how does this really work??? Good theory Hoop, but what is really going on??? I called HD.....no help, they can't (won't) say.
I wish some ex-Delphi guru would get on here and explain this system.
wilks3
:USA

Back