free website stats program Some Theory on Ion Knock Sub-System | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

Some Theory on Ion Knock Sub-System

I don't normally think of our Harley engines as being very sophisticated for these modern times. But, the HD engineers have incorporated some pretty sophisticated stuff in the form of the ECM and fuel injection into the bikes the last 3 or 4 years. The little black box or ECM does so many neat things which monitor and control many of the goings on of the bike, in the background. I am not ready to send a thank you card to the MOCO just yet though. If it were not for the EPA we would still be running carburators and belching black smoke out our straight pipes.

I read the stuff on the Delphi system. They kept referring to plug on coil sub-system. We don't have that. So.......I wrote a lengthy e-mail to Delphi asking how system works on a HD with all the above mentioned variables. Hopefully they will answer, and in a way I understand it. If answered I will pass it on back to you guys.
wilks3
:USA

I read the stuff on the Delphi system. They kept referring to plug on coil sub-system. We don't have that. So.......I wrote a lengthy e-mail to Delphi asking how system works on a HD with all the above mentioned variables. Hopefully they will answer, and in a way I understand it. If answered I will pass it on back to you guys.
wilks3

I work with a software Eng. from Delphi we hired 3 months ago, he worked directly on the HD ECM code. What woud you like to know? he may have a non disclosure agreement that would prevent posting intellectual property on the net.

Dr.Evil, Sweet! Just as I asked in a previous posting, how does this thing work with all the different variables that it has to figure out in a milli-second (or less) and adjust timing etc? I'm a gearhead, don't tell me it goes fast, tell me why/how!!!
PM me if he can explain it without getting trouble, I just want to know.
Thanks!!
wilks3

Is there a knock sensor in addition to the Ion system? I guess I don't see why it has to be so complicated. I've been running snowmobiles for years that have knock sensors to pull timing if you get some bad fuel and they are really simple and work perfectly. Al they are is a sensor that bolts to the head of the engine. It is so good at it that my sled is calibrated for 93 octane when you start it. On the first sign of deto it will pull timing to a 89 octane curve. If it still senses it then it will pull timing to an 87 octane curve. If your gas is so bad that you're still getting it the sled goes into a limp mode so that you can still get home without causing damage. It does this so fast that you never notice it working and it keeps all damage from deto from even happening. You do notice a slight power difference if you put regular in it vs premium but that's about it. Not sure why it really needs to be any more sophisticated then that??

Is there a knock sensor in addition to the Ion system?

No,,one and the same. I agree,,it is too complicated. Not only being complex, but change your coil to a performance model or to some other brand and it's "bye-bye" knock retard. According to Delphi, they claim their Ion system can detect knock before a Piezo sensor can. But I really don't believe it. While using a SEST, I have never recorded Ion knock retard without also hearing it at the same time. Maybe in some extreme circumstance, it will out-perform a piezo, but to carry all that overhead sure makes me wonder. Personally I appreciate the technology but I would rather have Piezo also.

Dr.Evil, Sweet! Just as I asked in a previous posting, how does this thing work with all the different variables that it has to figure out in a milli-second (or less) and adjust timing etc? I'm a gearhead, don't tell me it goes fast, tell me why/how!!!
PM me if he can explain it without getting trouble, I just want to know.
Thanks!!
wilks3

I checked with our software guy and he did not work in the group that specificaly coded the knock sensor. He did say he thought the sensor was just a spark plug.

A spark plug??? You mean we've been buying knock sensors all along???
Someday I'm going to figure this ion stuff out.

Dr.Evil, You mean 333 licks.....right??? If your gettin' to the center in 3 licks, your cheatin'
wilks3

Back