free website stats program Riding boots | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Riding boots

Are you having any trouble getting the boot under the shifter?

When I first wore them I had a slight shifting issue. Just had to get used to a higher toe than my old boots.

You can always adjust the shifter lever if need be. But I didn't.

They're a real solid boot. Takes time to break in the leather and make them comfortable.

I'd buy 'em again if I needed too, but Chippewa has a refurbishment program so I doubt I'll need to buy new until I'm ready for the Wesco boots.

I like to wear Justin boots, they have a comfy inner sole and the outside sole is good for oil and slippery conditions. I thought I had bought American, but when I got them home, I noticed on the box, hencho en mexico. uhhggg.

Redwings may be made in America.

:small3d023:

I prefer old school black Wellington style slipon boots with round toe. They fit in closer to the calves (no buckles or fancy "stuff" to fit under straight leg pants). The brand is Wolverine, steel toed with chevron pattern, oil resistant neoprene soles (not lugged for mud caking issues), and while they are made in the Dominican Republic :( they are well made match "business casual" look, when worn with black "Dockers" and the like.

Last edited:
Redwings still make some boots in the USA, but they also make many in China. IMO, sad since the price of the Chinese boots are the same as the American made ones. :( Redwing owns Vasque and it's the same story; the boots that were once made in Italy are now made in China, not every style, but most. I have some RW's & some Vasque made in both countries and I can say that there is a considerable difference in how they wear. (I have been getting a new pair of boots every year for the last 17 years, so I have a few extra pair)

I used to get the boots every year and keep them in the box until I needed to retire a pair. Years ago I would have 2 pair boxed in the closet before I would need to break out another pair. (I alternate shoes regularly among the shoes that are 2-3 years old), I am currently lucky to get 2 years out of the boots made in China.

I also like Merrell shoes, but they too are made in China, but they seem to have a bit better quality than the Vasque that I work in; it's just easier to buy the company boots through the stores they are set up for payment with. :s

What are your favorite riding boots? I made, what I assume, is a rookie mistake. When I bought my bike, I bought a pair of HD riding boots. Chinese junk!!

Are there any boots made in the USA these days??

I've been wearing the same pair of Cruiserworks boots since '01. I've had 'em resoled 3 times and they're still waterprrof. Cool in the summer, warm in the winter.

When I first bought 'em the main attraction was they were waterproof, a secondary consideration was they resole and reconditioned the entire boot for $40 when you sent 'em in... they paid return shipping.

The company has since changed hands, still located in NC and the boots are made in Ohio. They no longer do the resole/reconditioning, they recommend Resole America, which does a good job but they don't totally recondition the entire boot to like-new condition like the original owners used to. Although a bit pricey they do what they say they will and are comfortable right out of the box.

Only criticism I have is I wasn't wild about the OEM sole. The heel is a bit flat for my tastes and I didn't find the tread deep enough to be truly anti-skid on sand and crud at intersections. As I prefer a deeper lug and more prominent heel I contacted Resole America about putting a different sole on last time I had 'em redone. They put on a work-type Vibram sole with deeper lugs and just enough of a higher heel to make me extremely happy.

When I eventually replace these with another pair I'll have them sent directly to Resole America for the lugged soles I prefer. Nobody else seems to have any complaints and I know a lot of folks that wear 'em.

Check Cruiserworks Web site for their show schedule for events where you can try them on. They also have a small but growing dealer network.

TL

Maybe you should try some mountain climbing shoes with gore tex. These shoes are very light weight, have a strong house and are water proof.

I picked up a pair of Chippewas. For those of you in the Atlanta area, take a ride down to Horsetown in Locust Grove. It's a nice store. Mostly western wear but they have a motorcycle section with some high quality leather in it.
The Chippewa boot has impressed me so far. I really like the leather lining but most of all, made in the USA, and it shows in the quality! They feel good walking and riding, no shifter problems.

Attachments

• boot10001.JPG
    boot10001.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 70
  • boot20001.JPG
    boot20001.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 46
A friend of mine bought a pair of the HD boots and said that they were uncomfortable so I told him after he put a few hundred miles on his bike they ought to be broken in! :s
Actually I have a pair of the HD boots and I agree, they are uncomfortable to walk around in. Try putting a pair of inserts in them. It has made a big difference in the comfort for me.

Back