free website stats program rain gear | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

rain gear

I use an "aged variant" of Nelson Rigg 2 piece nylon rain suit I got from a Laguna Seca Race day special in mid 1993 @$25, works great...key features, high VIS 3M reflective tape, urethane and nylon mesh lining, elastic cuffs for sleeves & pants and color matched black-blue-purple (read old) for my 92 Katana way back when. :D

Current one in todays more "reasonable" Black w/Bright Yellow yoke and reflective tape is still rated a 4.5 appears to be top rated (now $50) and still reasonable.

I had a display model FieldSheer (model unknown) insulated two piece that worked great but was somehow misplaced on one of my long touring journeys, but I really liked that one because it was dry, warm and did not make you look like the Michelin man in cold, wet weather.

Rainsuit Comparison - Accessories & Gear Review - Motorcycle Cruiser

I have friends who have used Dry Rider, but Tour Master One piece was well received by most of my touring pals, though I prefer two piece based on packing, convenience and how much protection is needed.

I try to do a little research on things and found this article helpfull. Found the Nelson-Rigg AX1 on Dennis Kirk for $45.00. Nothing but snow outside for now I'll try them when spring hits.

Eddie Bauer layer system. Nice ventilated outer shell but can zip in different layers depending on time of season. Jacket is long (mid-thigh) so covers waist line well when riding (found shorter jacket would let rain in waistband).

Not trying to hijack the thread but I just thought of a very important point.

No matter what brand or style of rain gear you decide on, if you have to use it, be sure to hang it up to dry when you get home or to a motel for the night. Do not roll it up, insert back into the saddlebags, and forget about it. If left in there too long and the temps warm up a bit, you can end up with a moldy, mildewy mess on everything sharing the saddlebag with the damp rain gear. I guess it's not too hard to figure out how I know this to be true! :p

Ruined my favorite Iron Horse Saloon baseball cap. :(

Very wise advice from the "good doctor"
ps..it still hasn't rained on me while riding since I got my gear, but..it's sleeting in Mobile Al this AM, don't think I'll ride today.

I have a set call 'dry bones'. I rode thru a tropical storm with them and stayed dry. I don't think they make them anymore. Works well in cold weather as a wind breaker. two piece, reflective stripes, staps on the pants to keep them down low, vented, velcroed at all the right places. I've been using it for 5-6 years.

I have a set of Frogg Toggs, they're light and I stay dry.
I did have Tour Master Elite and didn't like them at all. I'd sweat in them and be wet. Couldn't sell them to anyone, tried giving them away and I eventually put them in a donation box to get rid of them.

Very wise advice from the "good doctor"
ps..it still hasn't rained on me while riding since I got my gear, but..it's sleeting in Mobile Al this AM, don't think I'll ride today.
LOL, I bought my HD rain gear before I got the bike. :D I couldn't pass up the deal, unfortunately, I did have to use it one miserable night, but I had it with me so it's paid for itself and will hopefully quietly ride around with me every where I go. :)

Back