free website stats program rain gear | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

rain gear

I have "First Gear" and have been happy.
My worst was 8-9 hours in the remains of a hurricane. Heavy rain from Raleigh NC to Baltimore.

No matter what:
1.) Having a highly visible color is a requirement for me.
2.) You will have to apply water proofing to the seams from time to time, in between uses.
3.) If you ride long enough you will get wet. (for me it was my chest and shoulders. Water hit my neck and slowly ran down. No way to make a perfect seal there and after 8 hours....)
4.) Make sure you get the correct size and fit: Is this just to keep you dry for a short time? Do you plan to ride in the rain for extended periods? Do you need the rain suit to fit over all your other riding gear, still allow movement, but not flap like crazy in the wind? Can you put on the rain gear with all your other clothing, on the side of the road, easily? (zippered legs are a big deal, here.
5.) Wet hands hurt after a while. I alway have a extra pair of gloves and socks.

Me and the ol'e lady both have the new Harley Hi-Vis.. rainsuits and they are the best... because it has not rained on me not one time since I got them !! You pay $300.00 for a pair of suits and it will never rain! So I don't know if they are any good or not....

Best suit you can buy, I hope, because I've never had to use it. I also have the HD gloves and boot covers. They stay in my bags.

I went all textile a few years ago and it was the best clothing decision I've made. Waterproof, ventilated, removable liner. What could be better. My leather just gets used for running into town and I always wear the textile on any ride of more than a few miles.

I went with This Jacket and These Pants The price, features and comfort can't be beat.

:s Helly Hanson Jacket & Pants from Bass Pro.
Have um for 10 yrs use um 2/3 times every yr in both light and heavy rain never get wet. They are both light and comfortable, also durable.......a bit pricey but worth it.:hii

got some goon rain gear out of Academy but still in the bag. like others have said just use my leathers

=================================================

oops good rain gear

Last edited by a moderator:
I use light weight gear from bass pro shops, It doesn't take up much room and I can leave it on the bike. You never no when it is going to rain here.
That is what I use too john. I have four of the self contained rain suits in my lower bags. A jacket and pants for me, and the same for my wife. You're right, they don't take up much room at all. They seem to work well so far. As for visibility I also store a reflective tape safety vest in the bag too. That compresses pretty small also.

probably doesnt matter as long as you have them with you when you need them :s
Good point wv! I can't tell you how many times I got caught in the rain and didn't bother suiting up. I don't know if it's lazyness or what but I just continue on my way home and proceed to get wet! :p That's o.k. though because by the next day everything is nice and dry again!

Last edited by a moderator:
frog toggs $ 79.00 for a xxl pants and jacket, light weight and comfortable!!! avalible in any color under the sun!!!

Not trying to hijack the thread but I just thought of a very important point.

No matter what brand or style of rain gear you decide on, if you have to use it, be sure to hang it up to dry when you get home or to a motel for the night. Do not roll it up, insert back into the saddlebags, and forget about it. If left in there too long and the temps warm up a bit, you can end up with a moldy, mildewy mess on everything sharing the saddlebag with the damp rain gear. I guess it's not too hard to figure out how I know this to be true! :p

Ruined my favorite Iron Horse Saloon baseball cap. :(

Back