free website stats program Primary case oil loss? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary case oil loss?

You must remove the outer primary case, the compensator/stator and clutch unit, and the inner primary case. You will than need to remove the drive pulley.

91 had some problems with the tranny pulley and splines, check for wear and tear here, there is an upgrade pulley lock kit. Too tight of a belt adjustment causes problems here too

I had the transmission apart on my 1986 Tour Glide about 2,000 miles ago to install new bearings and all new seals. At the 1,000 mile mark, it took about one quart of transmission oil to bring the oil level back up to where it's supposed to be? At the 2,000 mile mark, it again took another one quart of transmission oil to bring the level back up to where it's supposed to be? The exterior of the chain case is dry. There are no drips on the floor. There are no leaks appearing on the primary belt pully. The engine oil level remains the same. Where is that transmission oil disappearing to? I'm baffled???

Pull your derby cover off and look at the fluid level in the primary chain case. You may find that it has risen and that it is thick, and smells like gear oil. If that is the case, it is going into your primary.

You must remove the outer primary case, the compensator/stator and clutch unit, and the inner primary case. You will than need to remove the drive pulley.

I just (5 minutes ago) pulled the compensator sprocket and clutch out. - I'll pull the inner primary tomorrow - should get a better idea of what's happening then. Question remains: will I have to disassemble the transmission and pull the main drive gear to change the seals allowing fluid to leak into the primary and run down the back side to the inner primary chaincase?

Thanks,
Gordon

You will not have to remove anything from the trans. If your leak is from the main seal like Jack said pick up the new pulley upgrade that comes with a new mainshaft bearing, spacer and seal. While you have the inner primary case off take a look at the vent tube on the trans and make sure it is not stopped up or twisted.

You will not have to remove anything from the trans. If your leak is from the main seal like Jack said pick up the new pulley upgrade that comes with a new mainshaft bearing, spacer and seal. While you have the inner primary case off take a look at the vent tube on the trans and make sure it is not stopped up or twisted.

Check starter shaft seal and shift shaft seals also:s

Thanks guys, I'll have a look at it hopefully tomorrow. I'm just afraid the seal between the main drive gear and the mainshaft is the one that's leaking. Otherwise, how would transmission fluid get into the primary? I'll update you when I finish getting it apart - hopefully tomorrw. Never can tell what will happen at work to ruin my plans though.

If the main shaft oil seal is the problem that is the seal between the main drive and main shaft you will need to pull the bearing inner race which is on the main shaft this will give access to the seal
drill a small hole in the metal part of the seal put in a self tapping screw and pull on the screw and the seal should pop out
use some abs pipe of the correct diameter to drive the new seal into place after first clean the area that the seal runs on as there may be a build up of dirt
ensure when refitting the bearing inner race that sufficient gap is left between it and the seal to fit the puller at a later date

Brian

Well, I got the inner primary off... what a filthy mess back there! Reminder, we're talking about a 91Evo/5Speed. The locking screw was lying in the bottom of the transmission sprocket, the lock nut was loose and it looks like it was slinging fluid on both sides of the sprocket. Easy to see how it would look like that with the sprocket loose.

There are small grooves worn in the spacer behind the sprocket where the transmission main seal runs. New seal needed there, maybe spacer too and maybe the seal between the inside of the main drive gear and mainshaft. Seals for the inner primary too.

I'm still at a loss to understand how transmission fluid is getting into the primary. I also don't know which direction I'm going to go with this - try to service the transmission myself or take it to someone. I don't have the tools to work on it or any experience either so I am a little reluctant to try to tackle it myself. By the time could buy the tools I would probably have paid for parts and labor. On the other hand, I don't know anyone competent to take it to.

I'm open to suggestions - what do you think, what would you do if it was yours?

Well, I got the inner primary off... what a filthy mess back there! Reminder, we're talking about a 91Evo/5Speed. The locking screw was lying in the bottom of the transmission sprocket, the lock nut was loose and it looks like it was slinging fluid on both sides of the sprocket. Easy to see how it would look like that with the sprocket loose.

There are small grooves worn in the spacer behind the sprocket where the transmission main seal runs. New seal needed there, maybe spacer too and maybe the seal between the inside of the main drive gear and mainshaft. Seals for the inner primary too.

I'm still at a loss to understand how transmission fluid is getting into the primary. I also don't know which direction I'm going to go with this - try to service the transmission myself or take it to someone. I don't have the tools to work on it or any experience either so I am a little reluctant to try to tackle it myself. By the time could buy the tools I would probably have paid for parts and labor. On the other hand, I don't know anyone competent to take it to.

I'm open to suggestions - what do you think, what would you do if it was yours?

First off, these trannys are not hard to work on, Do you have a manual, some good tools including snap ring pliars

As I stated the upgraded pulley comes with a new/differint spacer and trans. main seal and nut with capture plate. The only way that the trans fluid can migrate from the trans to the primary is thru the hollow mainshaft. If pressure builts in the trans trans fluid can be forced thru the mainshaft into the primary. The trans is vented by a tube that you should be able to access with the inner primary case half off.

Back