free website stats program Primary case oil loss? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary case oil loss?

Sorry guys, I explained it wrong. Had my head up my rear end and was tired when I wrote the first explanation. I shouldn't have even mentioned the transmission except to explain why the chain case was removed. It's the transmission oil in the CHAIN CASE that goes down. Some of the comments weren't making sense to me so I went back to re-read what I wrote. What I wrote didn't make sense? That's what happens when you're old and tired, which is usually when I'm finally checking the internet! :(

I can see where using the word Primary Oil would of been the Best Words to understand...

If you use tranny oil in the primary and say that ,,,it can get convoluted :D

signed....BUBBIE

First off, these trannys are not hard to work on, Do you have a manual, some good tools including snap ring pliars

Yes, I have the HD manual for this model and year, and I have snapring pliars.

As I stated the upgraded pulley comes with a new/differint spacer and trans. main seal and nut with capture plate. The only way that the trans fluid can migrate from the trans to the primary is thru the hollow mainshaft. If pressure builts in the trans trans fluid can be forced thru the mainshaft into the primary. The trans is vented by a tube that you should be able to access with the inner primary case half off.

O.K. I did read your previous post, but did not really consider the upgraded pulley kit. I see a twinkle of light down at the end of the tunnel; I will check the vent - the end of the vent tube is dry so I didn't think about the possibility of it being clogged. Do you think overfilling the transmission would cause sufficient pressure to force fluid through the mainshaft? This is why I asked in my original post about proper method of checking fluid level.

Here's what I'm thinking about how to proceed at this moment: 1) Clean up the mess, oil and grime 2) check the vent 3) install the pulley upgrade kit with new trans main seal 4) refill the transmission with fluid and lean it on the jiffy stand to see if any leaks can be detected (it was leaking about 4oz. in a 24hr. period prior to disassembly). If that’s all good put it back together (plus primary seals) and RIDE

Sorry guys, I explained it wrong. Had my head up my rear end and was tired when I wrote the first explanation. I shouldn't have even mentioned the transmission except to explain why the chain case was removed. It's the transmission oil in the CHAIN CASE that goes down. Some of the comments weren't making sense to me so I went back to re-read what I wrote. What I wrote didn't make sense? That's what happens when you're old and tired, which is usually when I'm finally checking the internet! :(

Sorry, I hijacked your thread. My appologies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's what I'm thinking about how to proceed at this moment: 1) Clean up the mess, oil and grime 2) check the vent 3) install the pulley upgrade kit with new trans main seal 4) refill the transmission with fluid and lean it on the jiffy stand to see if any leaks can be detected (it was leaking about 4oz. in a 24hr. period prior to disassembly). If that’s all good put it back together (plus primary seals) and RIDE

Your plan sounds like a good way to go
Once you are in that far if it does not come in the kit a new spacer and quad seal along with the main drive seal may be a good idea
also the main shaft seal
the new pulley nut should already be coated with red loctite just ensure the threads on the drive gear are clean and oil free prior to assembly
when re fitting the inner primary it is best to use some sealant on the bolts that attach to the gearbox otherwise you may develop a wee leak from the primary

Brian

Let see if I can pin this down. You are loosing fluid from the primary (left side of the bike). You are not loosing fluid from the transmission. The upgraded pulley comes with a new transmission seal and spacer along with a new capture plate/screws and large left handed nut to capture the pulley to the main shaft. Since you are loosing fluid from the primary you will also need the seal for the inner primary chain case. While you have it down you need to replace the quad seals and the o-ring seal between the inner primary and motor. All this work can be done from the left side of the bike.

This thread has me confused now, Who has what problem and what is your plan or plans?

This thread has me confused now, Who has what problem and what is your plan or plans?

It's my fault - I hijacked CropdusterDougs thread. I have a trany leak, I believe he has a primary case leak. Thanks to everyone for their good input. I'm at the point where I need to get things cleaned up and get some parts ordered. I will update when appropriate.

Thanks again,
Gordon

I ordered all my parts today and got things cleaned up and ready to put back together. I also stripped the old paint off the inner primary so I can repaint the wrinkle black.

After cleaning things real good, I found the splines on the main gear are pretty worn, but I'm going to put it back together anyway. Money's tight and I'm already $300 into it. I got a new transmission shifter lever and it tightens up pretty good, but the old loose one screwed up the splines on the shaft. I'm going to put that back together as is also... and I don't want to crack the trany open.

Maybe when my wife graduates with her new degree (a year and a half from now) and gets a new job, I can buy another bike and then tear this one down and rebuild and repaint it.

I ordered all my parts today and got things cleaned up and ready to put back together. I also stripped the old paint off the inner primary so I can repaint the wrinkle black.

After cleaning things real good, I found the splines on the main gear are pretty worn, but I'm going to put it back together anyway. Money's tight and I'm already $300 into it. I got a new transmission shifter lever and it tightens up pretty good, but the old loose one screwed up the splines on the shaft. I'm going to put that back together as is also... and I don't want to crack the trany open.

Maybe when my wife graduates with her new degree (a year and a half from now) and gets a new job, I can buy another bike and then tear this one down and rebuild and repaint it.
Good luck and let us know how it goes, one good thing is these bikes are pretty forgiving when it comes to repairs like this:s

Okay, he's what I finally found. There is a bit of wetness behind of the oil seal on the chain case where the transmission main shaft goes into the chain case. I believe that the inner bearing race for the clutch pack is seeping oil between the press fit of that inner bearing race. I'm going to pull the chain case off, pull the clutch pack, pull the inner race off the main shaft, apply a sealer to the main shaft, and then press the inner bearing race back on. I'll also install new oil seals on the chain case (again). I hope that will take care of the problem. Sorry for any earlier confusion. I'm wide awake now.:D

Back