free website stats program Primary case oil loss? | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary case oil loss?

I had the transmission apart on my 1986 Tour Glide about 2,000 miles ago to install new bearings and all new seals. At the 1,000 mile mark, it took about one quart of transmission oil to bring the oil level back up to where it's supposed to be? At the 2,000 mile mark, it again took another one quart of transmission oil to bring the level back up to where it's supposed to be? The exterior of the chain case is dry. There are no drips on the floor. There are no leaks appearing on the primary belt pully. The engine oil level remains the same. Where is that transmission oil disappearing to? I'm baffled???

As has been already mentioned if it is not on the outside of the bike it must be somewhere on the inside and the most likely route is through the mainshaft into the primary

Brian

Dont know if this is a good idea or not but is there not a dye that could be added to locate this leak or maybe change the transmission fluid to a color that can be seen when it leaks.

Pop off the derby cover, but stand back, and do it somewhere that you don't mind getting completely covered in used oil (or use a BIG catch pan).

TQ

I'm going to have to use a mirror with an extension and a flashlight to check out that primary, but to date I have't felt anything oily up there? I'll keep looking. I wonder if anyone else had this same problem?

You won't need a mirror just take the derby cover off. But like the earlier post said put a catch pan under the bike, as the primary only holds 30oz.

As has been already mentioned if it is not on the outside of the bike it must be somewhere on the inside and the most likely route is through the mainshaft into the primary

Brian

Agreed - I'm currently having the same problem: trans fluid running out, onto the garage floor (clear - I use synthetic, thick, and smells like gear oil). I also see it dripping off the back side of the inner primary and my primary oil smells like gear oil, not primary oil.

That being the case, what is the most likely problem with the mainshaft seals? Is it necessary to pull the main drive gear to change them?

Thanks,
Gordon

You must remove the outer primary case, the compensator/stator and clutch unit, and the inner primary case. You will than need to remove the drive pulley.

Back