free website stats program Primary case oil loss? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary case oil loss?

Okay, he's what I finally found. There is a bit of wetness behind of the oil seal on the chain case where the transmission main shaft goes into the chain case. I believe that the inner bearing race for the clutch pack is seeping oil between the press fit of that inner bearing race. I'm going to pull the chain case off, pull the clutch pack, pull the inner race off the main shaft, apply a sealer to the main shaft, and then press the inner bearing race back on. I'll also install new oil seals on the chain case (again). I hope that will take care of the problem. Sorry for any earlier confusion. I'm wide awake now.:D

There is a seal there that you will see when the inner bearing race is removed dirt can build up on the mainshaft as it is exposed to the elements at that point
the seal is called the mainshaft oil seal it should be replace drill a small hole in the metal part of the seal and put in a self tapping screw you can then pull on the screw to get the seal out
clean up the mainshaft and fit a new seal some abs pipe of the correct size should slip over the mainshaft and drive the seal in to the correct depth
ensure when refitting the inner bearing race that you leave sufficient gap between the race and the seal to fit the race puller in the future if unsure of the exact gap use the race puller as a guide

Brian

I've always been careful on a SPLINED Shaft, NOT to side a New seal over the sharp edges of the spline, Cutting the seal OR it WILL Leak again early on...

I usually use plastic wrap to cover shaft and No cutting of the new seal that way,pulling the wrap out after seal is in place.

Lot of work to pull back apart IF you cut the new seal.:newsmile055:

Just My Way

signed....BUBBIE

Pull your derby cover off and look at the fluid level in the primary chain case. You may find that it has risen and that it is thick, and smells like gear oil. If that is the case, it is going into your primary.

Problem corrected. I had put the chain case oil seal on backwards. This is the seal on where the transmission main shaft goes into the chain case. The Harley parts guy said, "Yeah, see...it says right here...this side toward oil." I looked and still couldn't see any wording with my old eyes, but 'something' was written in ultra-small lettering that I still couldn't see. I'll buy a magnifying glass next time. Interesting that until recently, there was no oil drips? Maybe at high RPM and highway speeds, that's when it did leak and the drops got blown away with the wind? The question is...how many drops does it take to lose one quart of chain case oil in 1,000 miles......:D

Still seems like a lot of oil and if it were blowing it out past the main seal shaft, you would see it it on the trans pulley and the belt. It would have been carried toward the rear tire and make a mess. When you replaced the main seal did you also replace the seal on the left side of the motor case?

Problem corrected. I had put the chain case oil seal on backwards. This is the seal on where the transmission main shaft goes into the chain case. The Harley parts guy said, "Yeah, see...it says right here...this side toward oil." I looked and still couldn't see any wording with my old eyes, but 'something' was written in ultra-small lettering that I still couldn't see. I'll buy a magnifying glass next time. Interesting that until recently, there was no oil drips? Maybe at high RPM and highway speeds, that's when it did leak and the drops got blown away with the wind? The question is...how many drops does it take to lose one quart of chain case oil in 1,000 miles......:D

I was bored so I did the math on how many drops it takes to lose one quart of chain case oil in 1,000 miles.

A drop is defined as 1/60th of a teaspoon
There are 60 drops per teaspoon
There are 3 teaspoons per tablespoon
There are 16 tablespoons per cup
There are 4 cups per quart

It takes 11520 drops to lose 1 quart of oil in 1000 miles or 11.52 drops per mile. :)

Back