free website stats program PARADE MODE | Harley Davidson Forums

PARADE MODE

Anthony C

I need some help and insight. My 2009 FLHX STREET GLIDE has something going on. In the mornings, it starts fine all the time. But this is where I’m confused. When it’s cold and the RPM’s are above 1200 which it should be it runs fine. As soon as it starts to reach the temperature to settle down the RPM’s it starts to miss fire on the rear cylinder, but as soon as I start to open the throttle it comes right back. It runs great going down the road, plenty of power. I say the rear cyclinder because there’s no vapor coming out of the right muffler, only the left muffler. There’s no cat in the head pipe. I have a set of love jugs on my ride, they work beautiful. Before I put the love jugs on, when it was hot waiting for a traffic light, or stuck in traffic. I could really tell the parade mode kicked in, because it maintains the proper RPM’s. As soon as I crack the throttle it comes back to life. Now since I put the love jugs on, I never experienced the parade mode again. But yet it misfires at an idle. Not all the time, but more often then not. My question is, what can cause this issue? I’m not sure what the item is called that takes the place of the carburetor. Could it be that? I say this because, I brought the bike to a guy here in Virginia Beach, va to replace the front tire, state inspection, he said I needed rear brakes. So I said go ahead and put the brake pads on. Now the bike was relitively new to me at the time (September of 2015) I never had any codes come up until I left this shop. When I went to pick it up, it started right up, but I had no throttle response. So the guy comes over and pushes the plug in behind the air filter housing. Well I didn’t need anything done with that. And ever since then I’ve been having issues with the idle. I felt the shop swapped out whatever that piece is called but couldn’t prove it. What made me really think this shop is bogus is this. I met a guy in Virginia Beach where I work, it just so happens he used the same shop. He had work done on his bike there, and the shop replace the transmission output bearing. It started making a little noise again. So I checked the transmission for him, and it was way low and never had a leak anywhere. It gets better! He brought his sons bike there for a rear tire, his son had it less then a week and the belt snapped! So I told the friend I met from work to check the tension on his belt. The belt was so tight you couldn’t even move it up. So a transmission that was left low, and two belts that were so tight you couldn’t even move them. I replaced the belt on his sons bike, when I went to this shop for parts and told him what I was doing He said to me. “What are you trying to do, put me out of business!” At this point I do believe something was done to my bike while it was there. If someone can help me out I would really appreciate it.

Thanking you in advance,

Anthony C

As I was reading this I felt also that they changed something because when replacing a tire what does the throttle body harness have to with it. And with the other things mentioned, I would stay away from them.
Might be good to post the name of the shop so others can be informed and look for someplace different for service.

Oh! I’m with you on that one. Today on the way home from work it idled a little better. I took a trip to my sons in PA. It’s an 8 hour ride from here, I used two bottles of STP gas treatment on the way there and back it seemed a little better at idle, now I’m wondering if it’s an injector? Are the injectors real expensive for these bikes? While I’m at it I should replace the fuel filter as well. Neither the injectors, or the fuel filter are too much trouble to replace. I guess I’d have to talk to HD Unless I can buy them on
Line somewhere? Thanks for the reply

I'm a carb dinosaur so forgive me. Could it be as simple as a dirty IAC?

Here's what Bodeen is referring to.

As suggested try clean the IAC. Remove the air cleaner so the throttle opening is exposed. Stick a small rag in against the butterfly, look at about 12 o'clock in the throttle snout, you should see a hole. spray some good carb cleaner in the hole and that should clean out all the oily gunk that gets in there.

Depending on how dirty it is you may want to repeat the cleaning process a couple of times.

Please for give me. What is the IAC I worked on the big trucks and reefer units most of my life. Now I’m doing HVAC Thanks

Idle air control motor.
It controls idle by creating or limiting a metered vacumm leak as determined by information the ECM recieves.
When the pintle gets varnished or carbon builds up on it, the idle can drop below the factory programed value.
Cleaning the IAC can greatly improve idle quality.

OK thank you very much. I guess I can figure it out once I get the filter off. I’m looking for a small hole right at 12 O’Clock. Do I open the butterfly and catch whatever comes from the hole so the intake doesn’t swallow it. OK Saturday morning I have to change the oil on Momma’s can and my pickup. After that I’ll check this out. I have a case of brake cleaner. No point in buying 2+2 gum cutter.

Thank you again

Anthony C

Keep the butterfly closed and stuff a rage in the throat in front of the butterfly to catch any debris.

Back