free website stats program Oil temp gauge | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil temp gauge

The oil level/temperature dipstick with LCD readout works well to read temperature; very accurate. The problem has been with reading the oil level, at least that was the problem with the early units. I went through two of them before deciding they were not worth the money. The first was replaced under warranty but no love on the second one. They are a bit pricey but are very accurate on temps and may be OK on the oil level now; not sure. However, they very convenient; no wiring, no gauge on you bars, etc.; convenience always comes with a price.:s
Yeah, Mine went south this past summer. Too bad, I kinda liked it.

I just purchased the latest oil Temperature gauge from HD (Part Number 70900283) which now comes with a 3-way Plug-N-Play cable and installation instructions which I have installed on my 06 Ultra Classic. The instruction are somewhat convoluted and I've tried my best attempting to make heads or tails of them with unplugging and replugging cables but the long and the short of it is that the oil temperature gauge doesn't work. It seems that the oil temperature gauge uses the existing ambient air gauge wiring (2 pin plug for light and 3 pin plug for power and signal), along with the new provided 3-way patch cable in the kit that connects to the oil temperature sensor at one end and to the Ambient Air Sensor 107 (located under the fairing and looks like a little "sugar cube" bolted to a bracket). Then, as I mentioned, using the original wiring that was connected to the old ambient air gauge, connecting those plugs to the new oil temperature gauge. The instructions that I tried to follow are the latest posted on the HD website (J05410 REV. 2011-05-18). When I disconnect the plug from the Ambient Air Sensor on the head (which I believe is one of the things the instructions tell me to do), I get a Service Engine warning light. Frustrating as hell as the useless ambient air temperature gauge at least worked (not sure what for :newsmile047:) and now my new $150 oil temperature gauge doesn't :small3d012: Any suggestions

Back