free website stats program No more HD filters. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

No more HD filters.

I have been a big fan of WIX filters and have used them for years on my '91 Dyna. But when I checked their specs. on the 57348 and 51348 previously (couple of years ago), the nominal micron rating was too high for use on my '03 UC. However, they must have redesigned that filter to produce a nominal rating of 5 microns which is what they list on their website. So, once I use up all the HD filters I bought by mail order, I WILL be switching back.

As posted above, here are the specs on the WIX filter:

Part Number: 57348
UPC Number: 765809573482
Principal Application: Harley Davidson Motorcycles - Chrome Version of 57148
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Glass
Height: 3.404
Outer Diameter Top: 2.921
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 3/4-16
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Max Flow Rate: 7-9 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 5

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.734 2.430 0.226

TQ

$7.16- $6.49 = Why?

I took apart an HD filter and I could not make it better if I tried.

Hoop,

WELL, maybe you would do a Favor and take the other filter apart and give your opinion? I would like that IF you would Please....

OR have you already, so I can go one way or the other...

Thanks Hoople

YouDman :bigsmiley36:

signed....BUBBIE

Yep, $8.95 MSRP and it can be had for $7.16 mail order. So this dealership is taking it upon himself to set his own MSRP price which is uplifted by 40%.. Nice.. This is a perfect example of what was said in last weeks thread about "supporting you local dealerships".

Examples like this is what drives me to mail order. I don't know this dealership from Adam. He may be the best in town. But for some reason, I could not shop there.

Hoop, I still believe in supporting your local dealership, no I would not buy my filter from them, but go to another HD local dealer who charges $7.95 for Black and $9.95 for Chrome. They choose to let the consumables lower price make people look around...and quite honestly I do. Like I said, when I walk thru the swinging door, they always use my first name and always show me whats new...:D

I stare at my one eyed LCD screen all day, Internet while convenient is pretty impersonal and cold regarding sales. If you want the "emotionless buy or sell and only want the BEST PRICE only"...you are probably an E-bay or Craigs'list hound (not bad, more like Sherlock Holmes type) and probably would not spend your time on gas or mental exercise of an EMOTION driven SALE. Either way, you are supporting MOCO, and that is really what matters. No slam on Independents, I shop there too like Cycle Pro and even the Metrics...(you know, the East or Euro-ones), don't consider them competition, consider them as alternate suppliers just to get out and ride (before the reading...)! :newsmile037:

Last edited:
Hoop,

WELL, maybe you would do a Favor and take the other filter apart and give your opinion? I would like that IF you would Please....

OR have you already, so I can go one way or the other...

Thanks Hoople

YouDman :bigsmiley36:

signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie, That is not a bad idea. Heck maybe the Wix is built better. I will tell you one thing,,, the HD filter has one heck of a filter element inside. After taking one apart and looking at what went into making a HD filter, they suddenly became a bargain in my eyes.

But the next time I am at the auto-parts store I will invest the money and take one apart.

I still believe in supporting your local dealership, Like I said, when I walk thru the swinging door, they always use my first name and always show me whats new...:D

NewHD, You seem to have a "personalized" dealership that treats you with respect. That is a wonderful thing and is something you need to treasure & protect. I wish I had that. I TRIED to earn a mutual respecting relationship with the dealer who is just up the street from me from Day #1. It could NOT be done. Everyone in the place had a chip on their shoulder and it was their way or the highway. They FORCED me to go 60 miles out of my way to another dealership which I do have a GREAT relationship with. Problem is he is 60 miles away and in the wrong direction from me,, so I can't just buzz by,,, look at all the new bling and buy something. Mind you, I would love too, but it is just not practical for me to go 120 miles round trip that is out of the way.

It must be catching up with the dealership down the street from me because the place is huge, (2 floors) and there is rarely more than a handful of people shopping in it at any given time. I really wonder how they afford to pay the bills. And no matter who you ask, it's always the same answer..the guy does not work with his customers at all.

To be honest I no longer care because I have come up with solutions on my own to accommodate shops like them.

Last edited by a moderator:
$7.16- $6.49 = Why?

I took apart an HD filter and I could not make it better if I tried.

Hoople,

Last time I bought the chrome HD filters for my '03 UC, they were about $10.25/filter when considering S&H and a quantity of 6. Looking at the prices of the WIX filters on-line, there is not much difference anymore.

Will be interesting to see what you determine when you get a WIX 57348 (or 51348) and take it apart to compare with the HD filter. Of particular interest is the filter media used in the HD. The WIX is a glass fiber media.

TQ

One other thing that works for me if the MOCO dealer is "unappreciative", I shop there and ONLY buy things I want that are clearanced ONLY...that is how I got some of my gear at 50-75% off MSRP. If they are not gouging beyond MSRP, I will only buy from the gals there (if the guys you met are that terrible),and compliment those who do good work while their supervisor is standing there...only the savvy ones know how to hustle and close the deal right...the reward is a sale.

i BEEN USEING HI-FLO FILTERS...5 MICRON RATED....anything I should be worried about??

It is hard to tell. Not only is the micron size important, but how much filter area you have. Lets say the filter does filter 5 microns particles but the filter area is only 1/2 the filter area of an HD filter. That means once the filter area is full, (in 1/2 the time) the bypass will open and every size particle (no matter how large) will flow through to the engine bearings. The filters will work but they need to be replaced twice as often.

Lots of factors go into the selection process.

It is hard to tell. Not only is the micron size important, but how much filter area you have. Lets say the filter does filter 5 microns particles but the filter area is only 1/2 the filter area of an HD filter. That means once the filter area is full, (in 1/2 the time) the bypass will open and every size particle (no matter how large) will flow through to the engine bearings. The filters will work but they need to be replaced twice as often.

Lots of factors go into the selection process.

What about the bypass valve and what kind of media is the filter made of and is it glue at the ends like Fram?

Back