free website stats program No more HD filters. | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

No more HD filters.

$$$ 13,000 Harley and your are whining about a $13.00 filter ???? Why is anyone wasting their time on this thread ???

I really don't think anyone is whining. We are just having a technical dialog to fully understand a topic and possibly create a new way to look at old ways of doing things. It's brain food.

Besides, it's dark and raining where I live so there is not anything better to do.. Plus I am trying to save a buck! :p:p

IMO if you want to save a buck in the long run stick to the properly rated HD filter.
I hate saying that for the simple fact that I really dislike buying anything trademarked from a dealer.

It was meant as a joke Steve. I was also trying to be polite to the comment that was made that the topic of the thread was a waste of time.. I always buy genuine HD parts and look at required specifications closely.

$$$ 13,000 Harley and your are whining about a $13.00 filter ???? Why is anyone wasting their time on this thread ???

If your grocer started charging $6 for a loaf of bread, would you just complacently pay it? Same principal. We're exploring for alternative bread that is still tasty and nutritious.

Last edited:
Just what I have on hand and what I use. Think I paid like $9.00 apiece and they are chrome. But none the less, the topic is still interesting to me for the reasons mentioned.

Attachments

• Oil Filter 003.jpg
    Oil Filter 003.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 19
Don't take anything for granted. If there is a viable alternative that works just as well, looks as good (cause I like chrome filters for my Sporty) and is cheaper, that I'd seriously look into it.

The gang has already mention some basic ways to buy HD and keep the cost in line. Basically, pick up a few extra when the price is right. Store them on the shelf next to your oil.

Oil? Don't get me started on oil............

:p

IMO if you want to save a buck in the long run stick to the properly rated HD filter.
I hate saying that for the simple fact that I really dislike buying anything trademarked from a dealer.
With that statement, Why then dont you use the HD oil? After all, It is the properly rated oil for HD's.
Why is the HD filter so much better than anything else on the market? Is it because it says 5 micron on the box or is it because it says Harley? Champion labs (the maker of Hd filter's) Is not known for having the best filters around. They are the ones that come out with those cheap E-CORE's that walmart sell's and many private label's are using as well. How long before the HD filters from champion will be E-core's? Its just a matter of time till this happens.

The 57348 (Chrome) Wix is the chrome version of the 57148. I use this on my 10 Dyna.

It is rated to 5 microns. Just so you'll have a reference a human hair is approximately 100 microns in diameter (Not sure if that's a red one or not).

I paid $11.00 for these at my local Parts Plus affiliate.

Jim

Part Number: 57348
UPC Number: 765809573482
Principal Application: Harley Davidson Motorcycles - Chrome Version of 57148
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Glass
Height: 3.404
Outer Diameter Top: 2.921
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 3/4-16
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Max Flow Rate: 7-9 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 5

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.734 2.430 0.226
jdeatsch, 57148 is the Wix #? I saw a Wix 51348 number for a harley. I'm sure there more than one number that will screw on . so the 57148 is a black filter with smaller microns than the 51348? or whats the spec difference in these two filter numbers?

Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 3.404
Outer Diameter Top: 2.921
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 3/4-16
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8-11
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Beta Ratio: 2/20=21/37
Burst Pressure-PSI: 275
Max Flow Rate: 7-9 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 21
Heres the Wix specs. The NAPA number is 1348, same filter as Wix.
wilks3

jdeatsch, 57148 is the Wix #? I saw a Wix 51348 number for a harley. I'm sure there more than one number that will screw on . so the 57148 is a black filter with smaller microns than the 51348? or whats the spec difference in these two filter numbers?

Numbers are confused. It is 57348 and 57148. No difference except color. See here:

Part Number: 57348
UPC Number: 765809573482
Principal Application: Harley Davidson Motorcycles - Chrome Version of 57148

TQ

Back