free website stats program Nail In Rear Tire | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Nail In Rear Tire

Wow, "buyer beware" is one thing but that's a definite safety issue. Did you buy from a dealer or an individual? Either way, I'd have had a serious discussion after I discovered the plug!

I bought the bike from a private individual. Funny ending to the story tho...the seller and I got friendly during the time of the sale, found out we had a lot in common and to this day (six years later) we have been friends and ride together.

To this day I never made an issue of the plug in the tire. I just bought new tires at that time since the tires had 10K miles on them at the time of sale. They were ready for replacement.

Last week I went to go for a spin. Got all geared up, then as I did my walk around I discovered a nail in the rear tire. Boy was I upset. it's only got 7300 miles on it. Put a plug and can of puncture seal in it. Still holding air today, but dont want to risk it. Stealer only 200mm tire gonna cost $500 to replace. Not a happy guy today. Can I put a different brand on? I have Dunlops on now. Just put front on in June. Don't really want to change front again.

Just for the record, I have plugged numerous tires and have NEVER had a problem with it. I plug only middle tread punctures, never sidewalls, and now, I don't use the string plugs but the mushroom type. I get some leakers as a result and will dismount the tire and patch it from the inside to make it leakproof. I wear the tires out; I don't let punctures prevent from doing so.
T

Wow $500 that's some tire. I had the dealer replace my back tire when it went flat and the total bill was only like $190. They charged me $60 labor.

R W B; that's the price at the stealer. Cost is $315 just for the tire! the rest is labor and taxes. And unfortunately I can't cross Border to get done in Washington. I only wish it was $190.

Tensman; I only put a plug in it. still holding air, but haven't ridden it. Don't trust it. And don't have the means to patch from inside without taking bike to a shop. Although might try and get that done over this weekend.

On my 5th back tire in 24 K miles. Have had to plug the 4 previous tires, some with two plugs, only one leaked.
I just put a new one on recently and with less than 100 miles find a large nail sticking outta it. Luckly it was only in the rubber!
Roads are tough over here.
A key to plugging a tire is to be sure the plugging goes into the tire the same line as the nail. A little extra glue/sealant on the plug is not a waste either. IMO.

While I appreciate your particular situation China Mike where resources and dollars are in short supply, here in the U.S. buying a new tire and having it mounted by that same dealer is about $150 with tire...if you pull it off the wheel and tire getting it mounted, balanced there and remount and check alignment and final install yourself, here in the U.S. Keep in mind that is your ride, you decide...me I do not want to take a chance, my girls right behind me all the time, I don't make the risk decision for them to save a couple hundred dollars, Just my Way.

On two wheels it is generally considered risky to ride at high speeds on a plug. Course we've done it in cages for decades. I used to fix car tires at a gas station when I was young and plugged hundreds of them. As NEWHD74FAN said it's a personal decision for who is riding the bike.

Of course my friend China Mike lives in a place that (unless things have changed a lot since I was there in 1970) the element of risk does not hold the same gravity as it does here in the states. Folks over there live on a tougher set of standards and accept certain risks more. Just the way it is.

I do respect and understand your concerns. I too rate safety as the highest priority (moreso with age), I do want to ride again tomorrow. Some of the riders here don't understand my meticulous nature about the bike being in top condition. Even a simple breakdown 40 miles out on one of these roads could be days for transit or repair.

However, I choose to accept compromise (with caution and awareness) on some matters. After years of no riding in China, I like VN mostly because I can have my bike and ride. It is my saving grace. In the states I am just a regular rider. Over here they enjoy their bikes, but nobody rides like I do.

I will admit I have been LUCKY. Tire matters are small compared to the millions of little mopeds throughout the country. These little riders do not look! My radar seems to be on alert at the right times & in the right places.

Ride safe & enjoy

. . . . . .
Even a simple breakdown 40 miles out on one of these roads could be days for transit or repair.

Mike do the Vietnamese truck drivers still repair their breakdowns on the side of the road like when I was there. You'd see um parked there for a week or more till they got the part and installed it. They'd camp out by the truck.

. . . . . . . . . .Tire matters are small compared to the millions of little mopeds throughout the country. These little riders do not look! My radar seems to be on alert at the right times & in the right places.

Well you just answered my seond question, which was going to be has the city traffic become any more civilized than before :lolrolling Back when I was there the Honda 50's were the prevailent two wheeled ride. Intersections looked something akin to a motocross start.

RWB,

Side of the Road?? They screech, or coast to a stop dead in the lane they are in and the vehicle sits there till repaired. Flat tires, axles, transmissions, it doesn't matter. Yeah, they camp out till finished.

Years ago I met a guy in Macau who told me about how the millions of bicycle riders weaved through traffic without accident; they ducked behind the back tire of who ever was in front of them. That was the rule.
These moto riders ride with the same mentality. Except now they have more speed, and without looking right or left at intersections, lots of silly accidents, many fatal. Ridding outta Hanoi for a time I would see dead people each weekend for silly accidents like that.

My aggrevation has calmed a lot since I have learned how to ride by their unspoken rules! But there are times...............

Back