free website stats program Nail In Rear Tire | Harley Davidson Forums

Nail In Rear Tire

SixPak

Last week I went to go for a spin. Got all geared up, then as I did my walk around I discovered a nail in the rear tire. Boy was I upset. it's only got 7300 miles on it. Put a plug and can of puncture seal in it. Still holding air today, but dont want to risk it. Stealer only 200mm tire gonna cost $500 to replace. Not a happy guy today. Can I put a different brand on? I have Dunlops on now. Just put front on in June. Don't really want to change front again.

Personally i would not only stay with the same brand of tyre but use a matched tyre for the one i have

Brian

Good call, wanting to replace the tire for "only" a nail hole. I always do it too.
I feel your frustration. You can buy an OEM Dunlop tire on line and have it mounted by an independant shop for less than 1/2 the dealers quote. If you remove the wheel yourself, it's even less. Getting your hands dirty can pay off.
I know prices are higher in Canada, but you can still do a lot better than $500.

Yea, I feel your frustration.

When I bought a used bike several years ago with 10K miles on it, I also discovered weeks later that there was a plug in the rear tire and of course the seller didn't inform me of it. "Let the buyer beware". I replaced both tires since they had 10K miles. It was time!

Anyway, I agree to replacing the tire with the original brand, model and size.

Hopefully you should be able to find a better deal assuming you have other motorcycle shops in proximity to you. $500.00 for one tire? Ouch!

When I bought a used bike several years ago with 10K miles on it, I also discovered weeks later that there was a plug in the rear tire and of course the seller didn't inform me of it. "Let the buyer beware".

Wow, "buyer beware" is one thing but that's a definite safety issue. Did you buy from a dealer or an individual? Either way, I'd have had a serious discussion after I discovered the plug!

Most have voiced the best solution, stick with the same brand, model and have it put on by learning to remove the front tire (which is much easier than the rear) and carry in to a metric shop or if you have a repore with your local dealer--would save at least $300 out of the $500 estimate (buying tire from the metric dealer via advertised price on the Internet plus $70 shop labor is really just a matter of your patience and time, the experience "priceless"...JMHO.:s

Thanks everybody. I am going to replace with same brand and model. Bad part is it's the 200mm tire. So just might have to go to dealer. Gonna try to find better price. Called 3 dealers here. Tire alone is $315. then labor and taxes etc. And Barnes HD service would only tell me labor cost. Had to talk to parts for tire price. Trev Deeley Motorcycles and Mountainview HD both told me everything from service dept. Mountainview had best price at $450.

"If " the nail was in the center or say 1 inch off center of tire, and if my tire had less than 2000ish miles and had no rip or cords sticking out of the small nail hole...I would have no problem patching it. But thats me. I think too many tires are replaced because of liability issues.
Just me.
wilks3
:USA

Wilks3 does bring up a good point...the key is "--middle of the tread, clean puncture, with very simple puncture with no peripheral damage...but it is a difference of about $100, and if only YOU assume full liability. The point is if it involves you AND someone else be it wife or loved one, is it really worth the risk anyway?:s

Just a plug and can of "Puncture Seal" so far. Has not lost any air at all. Only rode it bout 7-8 km to. Still going to replace it though.

Back