free website stats program Nail In Rear Tire | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Nail In Rear Tire

NewHD74, What is at risk? Tire isn't going to explode. Patch isn't going to fling itself off.
I'm talking about a paneling size nail not a eight penny framing nail. I just really don't see the risk here. Again, it's just me. I think savings would be more than a hundred bucks.
wilks3
:USA

Acceptance of risk is the rider's responsibility. Yes, I have ridden on a plugged and patched tires solo beyond a couple thousand miles...but the point is, if I were going on a long trip, with my gal or daughter riding out back, do I really want the risk to make that shared choice with my pillion partner (I could always rationalize it), but then do I really want to? And what if a blowout or flat occurred while on the road, I would always second guess my decision. There comes a point where you decide what is best...and let them decide for themselves, saving that $100 or so is not worth the time to dismount, repair and then reinstall it, just my honest opinion.

This is my 2 cents on it- just replaced tires on my heritage. Back tire had 7900 mls., with 6200 plugged. Local shop put a radial plug/patch in it and new tube. Shop Owner said to just forget it was there and ride. After about 500 mls never thought about it again. The hole was from a 1/8" dia. shaft screwdriver

This is my 2 cents on it- just replaced tires on my heritage. Back tire had 7900 mls., with 6200 plugged. Local shop put a radial plug/patch in it and new tube. Shop Owner said to just forget it was there and ride. After about 500 mls never thought about it again. The hole was from a 1/8" dia. shaft screwdriver

I just read through this thread again and lidflipper brings up a very good point. I can't find anywhere that the OP states whether it's a tubeless or tubed tire. Two different animals entirely! I've replaced several tubeless tires just because I don't want a single ounce of worrying while riding solo or with my wife on the back. Just the way I am. As long as I was 100% certain the tube hadn't been nicked or damaged in any way, I'd ride quite a ways on a patched tire as long as the hole was located in the tread as previously discussed.

Last week I went to go for a spin. Got all geared up, then as I did my walk around I discovered a nail in the rear tire. Boy was I upset. it's only got 7300 miles on it. Put a plug and can of puncture seal in it. Still holding air today, but dont want to risk it. Stealer only 200mm tire gonna cost $500 to replace. Not a happy guy today. Can I put a different brand on? I have Dunlops on now. Just put front on in June. Don't really want to change front again.

I just read through this thread again and lidflipper brings up a very good point. I can't find anywhere that the OP states whether it's a tubeless or tubed tire. Two different animals entirely! I've replaced several tubeless tires just because I don't want a single ounce of worrying while riding solo or with my wife on the back. Just the way I am. As long as I was 100% certain the tube hadn't been nicked or damaged in any way, I'd ride quite a ways on a patched tire as long as the hole was located in the tread as previously discussed.

It's a tubeless tire 200-55R-17. And I only ride solo.

If it is a tubeless tire I wouldn't take a chance with a plug or patch.A friend of mine just bought a couple tires from the link below and had them shipped to my Indiana address,I picked them up on Thurs. Checked and both tires were manufactured whithin the last 6 months and they have good pricing and free shipping to the lower 48.
Motorcycle Tires | Dunlop| Michelin | Bridgestone | Metzeler | Pirelli | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Steve, I'd love to get them in the US. But cant cross the border. So I don't have any choice but to get it here.

The Dealers will not take the responsibility of patching tires nor will H D They want to sell you a tire and service, Tubeless tires HMM as long as the hole is no bigger than 3/8 in diameter and not a cut length wise I would use a patch plug and call it a day. We use them daily on car tires Yes I know the difference, but if done correctly and the case of the tire is not damaged or the bead been run flat it can be a permanent repair , I have repaired Motorcycle tires this way and never had a problem JMO

Hey SixPak, check out canadasmotorcycle.ca... Lots of tires your size for a couple hundred bucks. I bought 2 this last summer from them and its free shipping for over $99... I removed the wheels myself and Courtney Honda mounted and balanced them both for $47... Good luck with that eh!!!:D

Ok guys I have one more question now. My bike has the Dunlop D407 on it. I can only find that at the dealer. Can I put a D205 or D402 on instead? Or will that affect the handling?

Back