free website stats program lubricate | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

lubricate

I am trying to understand what you mean by "chatter"? Do you mean that the lever feels like it has a buch of lubricated and unlubricated segments in it and the cable slides, catches, slides, catches...etc?

Exactly! That is a very good way to put it. At the time my bike was near NEW. I had maybe 3K-4K miles on it and the clutch lever felt GREAT. But the "PM-Guy" that I am, I wanted to lube the clutch cable. Paid almost $15 for a bottle of Dri-Slide and lubed up the Clutch Cable. Almost instantly the Great feel went South. Flushed it out as best I could but never could get it back 100% to the way it was when new. Now trying some different lubes. I find that Zep 2000 does work good for me..

Dri-Slide does have it's place, but for me it did not give me the results I was looking for.

Hmmmm......perhaps I am missing something. 2007 with 28,000 and I have never lubed or felt the need to lube any cables on the FLSTC. I should say I never take it to a car wash and have never washed it with water (only Pledge). What gives you guys the indication to lube the cables? Is it something I should be doing just as preventative medicine?

Hmmmm......perhaps I am missing something. 2007 with 28,000 and I have never lubed or felt the need to lube any cables on the FLSTC. I should say I never take it to a car wash and have never washed it with water (only Pledge). What gives you guys the indication to lube the cables? Is it something I should be doing just as preventative medicine?

Harley calls for you to check, adjust & lubricate throttle, clutch & brake controls the first 1,000 mile service and every 5,000 miles there after, they include clutch & throttle cables as part of the controls. The newer cables are a lot more forgiving then they use to be, but I know as of 09 lubing the cables is still part of the HD service requirements . I guess if the service manual told me to go jump off the roof, I probably would :)

2009 Softail Manual says:
If service is on muddy or dusty roads, clean and lubricate at
shorter intervals.

CABLES AND HAND LEVERS
For throttle cables, use SUPER OIL (Part No. HD-94968-85TV) for hand levers
and cables.

I think when they first came out with their line off braided cables they recommended to use a silicone spray lube because a graphite base lube would turn the cables housings a dark color. I don't think they sold this HD SUPER OIL back then.

I have used Super Oil every 5,000 miles during service, and I have not had any problems so far. WD40 is a solvent, and in my opinion, has limited applications.

I have used Super Oil every 5,000 miles during service, and I have not had any problems so far. WD40 is a solvent, and in my opinion, has limited applications.

W D is a good water displacement hence the name but IMO not long lasting lube

Super Oil?? What a name..:) You mean MORE SUPER than the oil I now use which I thought was already SUPER!.....:D

Back