free website stats program lubricate | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

lubricate

Dri Slide also known as bike aid: IronBraid Dri Slide Lubricant
Some HD dealers carry it.

Enter “cable lube” in the Search Forum box, top of page, and click search button.
Or click below, and scroll down ….
Lubricating Cables/Throttle - Harley Davidson Community

Dryslide lube works best mainly because it does not attract road grime. But if you start using wet lubricants like WD40 or 3 in 1 oil, they do evaporate and attract "less" dirt. If you use motor oil, you will have to use on occassion a solvent to prevent moisture or congealing motor oil from "gumming" up the works. Never tried Marvel Mystery Oil, but that stuff does not leave residue and does not ever seem to congeal so may be good "wet lube".

I'm with you on that, Jack although my use of it has been in cars as an oil addative. Would put it in about a 1k miles before oil change to clean the engine. Did that about every 10K miles or when I thought about it. Got 150K on my bimmer and it purrs.

Silicone spray works well but don't get it on the grips or levers

Last edited by a moderator:
I use Silicone spray on braided & the newer cables, but have used Dri Slide for years and still use it on the older cables & kick stand springs, just seams to work better.

I must be doing something wrong. When I used Dri-Slide on my CLUTCH cable I experience "chatter" in the cable. The bike was near New and the cable feel was Perfect but I figured what the heck and lubed the clutch cable with Dri-Slide. Why I don't know but I experienced a Terrible chatter feel in the clutch cable. Had to flush it out and use a different lube.

But on Low PSI cables and flexible speedo cables, Dri-Slid works good for me.

I must be doing something wrong. When I used Dri-Slide on my CLUTCH cable I experience "chatter" in the cable. The bike was near New and the cable feel was Perfect but I figured what the heck and lubed the clutch cable with Dri-Slide. Why I don't know but I experienced a Terrible chatter feel in the clutch cable. Had to flush it out and use a different lube.

But on Low PSI cables and flexible speedo cables, Dri-Slid works good for me.

I am trying to understand what you mean by "chatter"? Do you mean that the lever feels like it has a buch of lubricated and unlubricated segments in it and the cable slides, catches, slides, catches...etc?

I haven't had this happen on my clutch cable using dri-slide, but I did have it happen on my bicycle shifter. I have not replaced my clutch cable yet on my ultra so I don't know what is inside the cable housing. On my bicycle, the cable housing has a plastic/teflon liner that is between the wound coil of the cable houseing and the twisted cable that does the "pulling". I got the dri-slide between the liner and the housing and the liner was intermittently sliding as well as the cable. Later I learned that the liners eventually can wear holes in them around bends, which lets the dri-slide get in between no matter what.
The clutch cable on the HD doesn't have the sharp bends that my bicycle has so the wear shouldn't be that bad.

Sounds like you got it fixed, but maybe this is the reason for the chatter?

I have messed up and used dri-slide on a couple of 2010 bikes and got that chatter that Hoople was talking about, after it dries it seams to be ok, I think it's because the newer cables are plastic coated and run inside a plastic housing, I use a silicone spray lube on them and have no problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently used Jig-A-Loo Graphite Extreme is a serious, fast drying, ultra-thin high performance graphite-based lubricant that can be used in extreme temperatures from -99°F to 986°F.

Especially useful in dusty, dirty conditions where greaseless, oil-free lubrication is required and it will not pick up dust or grit.

Back