free website stats program Loud pipes saves life !. | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Loud pipes saves life !.

Loud air horns save lives... Having your head a swivel helps also. When I'm riding and see someone, no matter what they drive, that even looks like they'll run a stop sign, a red light or I think they don't see me, they get to hear my dual notes 115 dB horns...

I use 'em and use 'em liberally. If I think you don't see me, you're gonna hear 'em...

Loud pipes just don't work. Besides, when you're running down the road, the sound is behind you. They may work if someone is following you. But they can't be heard by most people in front of you.

+1 for having your head on a swivel. This is about 1,000 times more important than having loud pipes IMO. You simply HAVE to ride as if everyone is out to get you, 100% of the time. Assume you are invisible, etc., etc.

By the way, beautiful pooch you have there SledDog! Welcome to the forum!

I agree with SledDog..I had a Honda 750 for 7 yrs ..A very quiet bike. I did not have an air horn, but I bought the loudest horn I could find. Better than loud pipes and alot louder. Now that I have a HD , I still believe a loud horn is worth more than loud pipes. For myself there is nothing sexier than great sounding HD pipes. I use my horn to be noticed and I am not scared to use it to get someones attention. I have only ridden a bike for 8 shorts years ( no accidents) and I believe loud pipes help , but believe a louder horn is more valuable.

I put loud pipes on cause I like the sound not cause I'm trying to attrack anyones attention. Basically cars won't see you or look fopr you no matter what you do so if your relying on your pipes for a margin of safety your in big trouble. If you've ever pulled up next to a car with the radio blaring and the bass putting stretch makrs on your face you'll realize they wouldn't hear a howitzer if it went off 2 feet from em...

I simply like my loud pipes, sounds good to me! I try to be respectful to others and not offend too much, but at last check, this is still the U.S.A. , and I dont (edit) about smokers, rap music, country and western music, so dont (edit) about my pipes:bigsmiley33:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think loud pipes save lives. I too have a lot of deer in the area and for whatever reason, they hear me coming and usually run into the woods before I come up on them. Plus, I will wap the throttle when I am passing people in their blind spots.

+ what fun is it when you can't annoy the baffle-loving cry babies.:D:mgun

I think loud pipes help to keep cages aware of you when in traffic but I like my 111 decibel set of horns to really get the attention of cages who are too distracted to see you.

Nothing wrong with loud pipes as long as you dont use them to intentionly annoy people. Like roaring up a residentsil street to set off car alarms. They certinly make you more noticable to the cages. Im very motorcycle consicous and almost took out a BMW passing me on the right. I can hear a bike with loud pipes a block behind me when in the car. Wish they had spell check as you can see.

I love my cycle shack slip ons yeap there loud but not like my 6inch duels on my pete with jake brake and let me tell you them 4 wheelers wake up when i hit that switch:18:

On a 400 mile ride yesterday, I kept a running count and saw at leat 6 deer leave from the side of the road as I approached them with the Hog, at full song at cruse with the Bub's doing there thing........ cheap insurance....

So... "loud pipes save life" more likely for deer than for cagers, that's makes sense though, I'll probably gonna put the Cycle Shack back on if I can find another quieter baffles to replace the one that came with.

Back