free website stats program Loud pipes saves life !. | Harley Davidson Forums

Loud pipes saves life !.

SeaRider04

Is that true or it's just a reason to get new "sound" for your Bikes?.

I have a set of CycleShack slip-ons on my Herritage, love the sound but after dozens of close call incidents, I just remove them and put the stock pipes back(my neighbor loves me more with stock pipes).

To me, if the cage drivers has their windows down, then they'll hear me coming, but if they have their windows up and music/cell phone on, they will not hear me coming.

I asked my lovely wife get in her Lexus and start the car up, leave everything in her Lexus the way it was like she is driving on the road(Window up,Auto Air and music on), and I fire up my Bike about 10feet behind her, rev it up around 2500-3000rpm and she said she has to listen for it to knows I'm behind there, same as my Daughter when she sat in her Honda with windows up and same as me when I sat in my Ram truck, and all of this is right on my driveway and not moving, I assume it's gonna be harder to hear when moving.

You though.

unless you are running open pipes most people won't hear you as they are out driving .. i have pulled up next to many cars where i can hear the radio with their windows up over my engine an exhust

Last edited:
I agree with smitty --- Believers will say yes and non-believers will say no.
And sometime down the road the Govt. may / will have a BIG say so in the matter. BUT every little thing WE RIDERS can do to make others pay attention to us does help. Now don't get "lulled-in" by thinking LOUD PIPES are heard by EVERYONE out on the black ribbon as your own test has shown!! :cheers

Until i see statistics to prove it I simply refuse to believe this is true in today's riding environment for all the reasons stated. However, this is my OPINION and we all know everyone has one, along with other "body parts."

I love the sound of the Harley rumble that exists slightly louder than stock pipes give you but many people have gone way too far. Not only the EPA but many communities are now punishing all motorcyclists because of an inconsiderate minority - Hilton Head, Denver, Aspen, Atlantic Station (Atlanta).

So... I wasn't crazy thinking about that, I do like a louder pipes but then after I did the test, I was wondering if I don't hear it, how do people out there hear it, and if they don't hear it, why do I put them in for beside for my liking and up seting my neighbors?.

I'll get myself a different set of quieter baffles for my CycleShack pipes or I'll sell them if I can't find any baffles that will drops the sound level a bit.

Most collisions with cars are when the car is making a left turn and doesn't see the M/C, they don't see you let alone hear you. I used to run drag pipes in my younger days, just like to make noise. I'm tired of all the loud bikes, guess I'm just gettin old. I like quiet and even wear ear plugs. I have severe hearing damage from shooting, big trucks and other equipment and wind noise from riding M/C's. I wouldn't blame noisy pipes though for my hearing loss.

No amount of noise can compensate for a driver's head up arse. I'll eventually upgrade my exhaust but will keep the noise down. I like a low throaty rumble not a headache and we're all going to lose due to the guys running open pipes, probably sooner than later.

You gotta ride like everyone's out after you, all the time.

No amount of noise can compensate for a driver's head up arse. I'll eventually upgrade my exhaust but will keep the noise down. I like a low throaty rumble not a headache and we're all going to lose due to the guys running open pipes, probably sooner than later.

You gotta ride like everyone's out after you, all the time.

It's already happening!

I'm not a strong proponent of the load pipes save...yada yada crowd. Unless they are behind me and are in direct line of my pipes. The sound is designed to be pushed to the rear of my bike. Not the optimum direction to grab the attention of those in front or beside me.

Besides, what's the FIRST thing cagers say after they knock you over..."I didn't see him".

Now, you want a good use for a load pipe...watch the reaction of a cell phone talker as slide up next to them. Now move just slightly ahead, so your pipe is even with the side window...maintain the speed with a slightly high rev. Maybe back off the throttle know and again for a little pop-rumple. After a mile or so they almost always hang up.

Until i see statistics to prove it I simply refuse to believe this is true in today's riding environment for all the reasons stated. However, this is my OPINION and we all know everyone has one, along with other "body parts."

I love the sound of the Harley rumble that exists slightly louder than stock pipes give you but many people have gone way too far. Not only the EPA but many communities are now punishing all motorcyclists because of an inconsiderate minority - Hilton Head, Denver, Aspen, Atlantic Station (Atlanta).

Statistics can be manipulated, the news media is very obvious of that fact. I have Vance-n-Hines long shots, they are very loud. When I pull up next to someone I make my presence known, they hear me I can see thier reaction, I guess I am one of these people that have gone way too far in your opinion, if someone can sit in thier driveway with a motorcycle behind them and they can't hear it, those are the people I like blast past on the highway, just to wake them up so they pay attention and get off thier cell phones. I won't go so far as to say loud pipes save lives but they sure are fun! Lighten up and live a little..knock the baffles out. As far as the neighbors I've got mine trained, they all wave they know it's how it's going to be and that's it, too many years in this neighborhood.:smell

Back