free website stats program Loud pipes saves life !. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Loud pipes saves life !.

Interesting, just found this today.

Oakland Police Department Wants Louder Pipes On Its Harleys

Published by Cyril Huze June 12th, 2008 in Editorial.
Another very interesting article forwarded by Rogue.
Over in Oakland they like it loud - so loud that all 45 of the Police Department’s Harley-Davidson motorcycles have been equipped with shiny new tailpipes, at a cost of $500 apiece, to rev up their roar. It seems the cops just didn’t feel safe on toned-down bikes. “There’s an old motorcycle adage that you are heard before you are seen,” said Deputy Chief Dave Kozicki, explaining the department’s decision to toss the bikes’ muted factory-issued mufflers in favor of the more high-volume pipes. Kozicki cited an accident three months ago in which an Oakland officer riding a toned-down cycle was struck by a motorist who said he hadn’t heard the officer approaching.But some City Hall insiders, as well as motorcycle cops elsewhere, said the safety argument is a stretch. Even the folks at the national Motorcycle Industry Council, which represents all the big bike manufacturers, were unaware of any safety benefits from louder mufflers.
“We encourage all motorcycle riders to keep the original low sound levels that meet the … federal sound limit of 80 decibels,” said industry spokesman Mike Mount. “It would seem counterintuitive that a law enforcement agency would go against federal standards.”
Ironically, it was just a short time back that Oakland police were called upon to crack down on noisy motorists who had modified their auto mufflers to make a whistling screech. The “whistle tip” pipes were eventually outlawed under state law. Oakland’s cops had a long tradition of riding their Harley-Davidsons with the modified, louder tail pipes, earning them the nickname “Rolling Thunder.” But after an officer complained about a loss of hearing and others around town questioned whether the police force was violating the very noise standards it was supposed to enforce, the department brass ordered a switch to the quieter stock mufflers.
According to Kozicki, the decibel drop sparked a chorus of complaints from other officers, who said they felt less safe. So last year the department launched a $1,200 study in conjunction with the city’s risk management division to determine whether A) the louder motorcycles contributed to officers’ safety, B) were detrimental to their hearing, and C) complied with noise standards. Kozicki acknowledged that whatever safety-related findings the study produced were largely anecdotal. Still, after everything was taken into consideration, the department concluded “it was in the best interest of the officers to put more-audible pipes back on,” Kozicki said.
Hence, all 30 of the department’s Harleys were sent down to the central maintenance yard for a muffler makeover, at a cost of about $15,000, according to City Hall insiders. Another 15 newly purchased motorcycles were ordered with the louder pipes, though at no extra charge. Oakland officials acknowledge that the noisy pipes, when tested, averaged 93 decibels - well above the federal legal noise limit, according to the Motorcycle Industry Council.

I put loud pipes on cause I like the sound not cause I'm trying to attrack anyones attention. Basically cars won't see you or look fopr you no matter what you do so if your relying on your pipes for a margin of safety your in big trouble. If you've ever pulled up next to a car with the radio blaring and the bass putting stretch makrs on your face you'll realize they wouldn't hear a howitzer if it went off 2 feet from em...

I run Bub short shots, with the baffles, when I pass a cager, as I start by I tickle the throttle a bit and make the pass quickly, many times you will see them sit up and take notice and check their mirrors. After having been run off the left sholder a couple of times by some idiot who changes lanes with no signal, any advantage I can get is a good one. Also run a headlight modulator for the same reason, I always plan my actions with the thought that EVERY car is TRYING to kill me!

I put loud pipes on cause I like the sound not cause I'm trying to attrack anyones attention. Basically cars won't see you or look fopr you no matter what you do so if your relying on your pipes for a margin of safety your in big trouble. If you've ever pulled up next to a car with the radio blaring and the bass putting stretch makrs on your face you'll realize they wouldn't hear a howitzer if it went off 2 feet from em...

Probably the most honest post I've seen on this topic from the pipes crowd. I'm still convinced this is the reason the vast majority of folks put loud pipes on their bikes - they like the sound, and sometimes the attention. The "saves lives" part is a convenient rationalization for them doing it.

If you want a louder bike go for it, but please use some common sense and courtesy when riding and get ready for the fallout from the anti-noise crowd.

Saves lives... probably not.
Do I like my LOUD bike... yes!
Gonna change??? not anytime I see in the future!:)

I have Vance & Hines slash cuts on my EG. Loud? More than the stock pipes. I've noticed in small towns, most people hear me coming and wait on me. Try driving through deer country like where I live with stock pipes, but be very cautious. I have proof that quiet pipes will not deter deer.:bigsmiley31:

I agree with Glide 33 about the deer, the loud pipes make them move away from the edge of the road before you get there...

Every summer about this time. The infamous loud pipe post start popping up. Everyone starts the EPA mandate thing. Buy your pipes run them loud and proud. When weather starts cooling off winter time gets here, There wont be that many bikes out. And the big brother is listening thread will be gone. Till next spring when some dummy rips pass a city cop and gets a warning ticket ,then the loud pipe post will once again rear its head. :33:

Back