free website stats program Let's see some data on batteries | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Let's see some data on batteries

Mine just died too!

Brand and model = HD AGM
Install date (2/10)
Replacement date (10/12)
Years of service = 2 years 8 months
Type of use the bike gets = Primary vehicle ridden daily, weekends, and trips.
Tender used and how often = Daily for the last year
Type of tender = Battery Tender Jr

On my 2010 Streetglide. Just put replacement battery in today. Wow, 185.00 for HD batt.

My battery is giving me that long hesitation at first button push, then starts. I'm gonna check out connections and do a load test on it. Seems like everyone gets many years out of their batteries. It appears not in my case.

Brand and model = HD orig
Install date (09 when new)
Replacement date (not yet but)
Years of service = 3 years
Type of use the bike gets = summers.
Tender used and how often = from Thanksgiving to April
Type of tender = Battery Tender Plus

Brand and model = HD orig
Install date (04 when new)
Replacement date May 2011
Years of service = 7
Type of use the bike gets = Some spring, SUMMER, Some Fall and winter
Tender used and how often = Any time the bike sits
Type of tender = Battery Tender Jr.

Brand and model: HD orig
Install date: 08 when new
Replacement date: Very soon
Years of service = 5?
Type of use the bike gets = Some spring, SUMMER (weekender), Fall
Tender used and how often = Schumacher Trickle Charger (Walmart)
Type of tender =

For the past two years I have been pulling the battery from the bike and leaving it in the basement. I read somewhere from an instruction sheet from another brand of bike battery that it was not a good idea to keep the battery on the trickle charger. Their instructions read, "Charge the battery once a month. Do not leave on a charger full time."

I decided to cycle the battery in the basement by discharging it using a small light bulb for a few hours and then charge the battery using the trickle charger. It worked fine until this winter when I left the bulb on the battery way too long (overnight) and the following morning the battery was DEAD! The voltage was about 6.0 volts. So...I put the charger on and after just a few minutes the charger stopped charging indicating there is an issue with the battery connection or the battery needs replacement. After several attempts to recharge the battery I realized it wasn't coming back to life. So I will wait until spring and purchase a new Deka battery since I have heard goos things about this brand. I suppose it was time for a replacement anyway.

Brand and model: HD orig
Install date: 08 when new
Years of service = 5?
Type of use the bike gets = Some spring, SUMMER (weekender), Fall
Tender used and how often = Schumacher Trickle Charger (Walmart)
Type of tender =

For the past two years I have been pulling the battery from the bike and leaving it in the basement. I read somewhere from an instruction sheet from another brand of bike battery that it was not a good idea to keep the battery on the trickle charger. Their instructions read, "Charge the battery once a month. Do not leave on a charger full time."

I decided to cycle the battery in the basement by discharging it using a small light bulb for a few hours and then charge the battery using the trickle charger. It worked fine until this winter when I left the bulb on the battery way too long (overnight) and the following morning the battery was DEAD! The voltage was about 6.0 volts. So...I put the charger on and after just a few minutes the charger stopped charging indicating there is an issue with the battery connection or the battery needs replacement. After several attempts to recharge the battery I realized it wasn't coming back to life. So I will wait until spring and purchase a new Deka battery since I have heard goos things about this brand. I suppose it was time for a replacement anyway.

Since I posted the above back in January, 2103, I did some additional research and I discovered that BatteriesPlus has a good deal that caught my attention. Their replacement battery is priced right AND there is a local BatteriesPlus store not far from me. So I am getting ready to make my purchase and go there and buy their battery. With their two year full replacement warranty, it sounds like a good deal.

[*]Brand and model : H-D AGM OEM

[*]Install date : May 2009 (new bike)

[*]Replacement date: Not yet, but haven't tried to start it this year.

[*]Years of service - 4 yrs in May

[*]Type of use the bike gets : Parked in unheated garage from November to end of March/Mid April. Some Spring, twice a week during summer minimum, some fall weather permitting

[*]Tender used and how often: H-D battery tender once a week in spring and fall, less often in summer if weather really pathetic; almost on continuous during winter.

[*]Type of tender: H-D battery tender (came with the Ultra)

When I checked the battery a couple days ago after unplugging it for a day from the tender, I had a healthy 12.9 volts. Still, I'm looking around to see who has batteries available just in case. Most likely will not buy replacement from the dealer. They are asking over $230CDN for the battery (ouch). Can get a Deka or Interstate AGM's for around the $145 mark in the area.

Brand and model: HD Orig
Install date: 2011 When New
Years of service = 2.5?
Type of use the bike gets = Year round (at about 4000 miles per year)
Type of tender = I don't use a tender

I will probably go with the Batteries Plus replacement. The heat gets to batteries here, and they just abruptly die. I have no wish to be stranded in some desert (Edit). I put a Batteries Plus battery into a Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad I used to own and it did very well. I can't justify 180 bucks for an HD batt when I can as good or better for half the price.

Please Click the below link and read this...

HDTimeline Language Policy - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine just died.

Brand and model = HD AGM
Install date (2/10)
Replacement date (10/12)
Years of service = 2 years 8 months
Type of use the bike gets = Primary vehicle ridden daily, weekends, and trips.
Tender used and how often = Daily for the last year
Type of tender = Battery Tender Jr

Another one bites the dust!

Brand and Model = HD Agm
Install Date = 10/12
Years of Service = 2 years 3 months
Type of use bike gets = Primary vehicle ridden daily
Tender used and how often = Battery Tender, daily

I am officially done with HD batteries. At upwards of $180 and only 2 plus years, I am trying the auto parts store brand for $120 with a $20 discount. Thats $60 in my pocket and if it lasts close to 2 years I'll be happier than a pig on Lorne's grille!

Besides, my local HD dealer would be a great spot to open an HD dealership!

Another one bites the dust!

Brand and Model = HD Agm
Install Date = 10/12
Years of Service = 2 years 3 months
Type of use bike gets = Primary vehicle ridden daily
Tender used and how often = Battery Tender, daily

I am officially done with HD batteries. At upwards of $180 and only 2 plus years, I am trying the auto parts store brand for $120 with a $20 discount. Thats $60 in my pocket and if it lasts close to 2 years I'll be happier than a pig on Lorne's grille!

Besides, my local HD dealer would be a great spot to open an HD dealership!

Wow You are good at killing batteries My sportster and dyna have hd agm batteries got the sportster Jul 2005 and the battery was in it got the dyna may 2008 and the battery was in it
I charge the batteries perhaps twice during the winter using an optimate
If I were you I would stop using the battery tender and get the battery to work and do its job

Brian

Back