free website stats program Let's see some data on batteries | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Let's see some data on batteries

HD original battery.

Bike was bought 6/05

Hasn't been replaced. It is starting to dim the lights a little bit when the engine cranks so it will be soon

Years of service: 5 years, 5 months

Pretty much daily ridden

Never been on a tender

It would probably be better to just ride'em like we stole'em. :D

And my apologies to TQ for hijacking his thread. Feel free to remove any of my lengthy posts.
You won't hurt my feelings.

Ah who da what da never, I have to read and re read every thing you post and have committed alot of it to memory a bit long no just good info with facts to back it up Good Job Hoop:s

Deka`s are Good batteries. I used to have them in all my car`s for years, but now nobody carry`s them in my area anymore.

Batteries Plus carries Deka...! They carry all kinds of batteries. They will also replace those bad nicads in you power equipment with NiMH batteries which I did on my ol' DeWalt...XRpacks. My 15 year old stuff runs like new.

BTW Good news regarding my 1st defective Deka battery...it had a "loose" threaded insert inside the positive terminal, which I had "fixed" using an extra bolt (come to find out the negative one was even worse), so when the battery output went dead, I asked for a replacement and they did it no question. You could see where the insert "rewelded itself" the negative terminal had globs of lead oozing around it and discolored terminal was straw/blue color.

So I now have a new battery as of 08/28/12, managed 8 years on HD, 11 months on the 1st Deka and now on my 2nd one. :small3d031:

Batteries Plus carries Deka...! They carry all kinds of batteries. They will also replace those bad nicads in you power equipment with NiMH batteries which I did on my ol' DeWalt...XRpacks. My 15 year old stuff runs like new.

BTW Good news regarding my 1st defective Deka battery...it had a "loose" threaded insert inside the positive terminal, which I had "fixed" using an extra bolt (come to find out the negative one was even worse), so when the battery output went dead, I asked for a replacement and they did it no question. You could see where the insert "rewelded itself" the negative terminal had globs of lead oozing around it and discolored terminal was straw/blue color.

So I now have a new battery as of 08/28/12, managed 8 years on HD, 11 months on the 1st Deka and now on my 2nd one. :small3d031:
Good deal, The Deka batteries are the same as H D with out the H D on them and cheaper too. They are made in PA by EAST PENN manufacturing co., inc.: Lead-Acid Batteries; Battery Manufacturers; Thousands of Different Types of Batteries, Cable & Wire Product they also are under contract with Sears:s

OK, Folks:

Let's see some real data on our experience with batteries. I would like actual data, not just impressions. Here is what I would like to see:
  • Brand and model
  • Install date (mo. / yr.)
  • Replacement date (mo. / yr.)
  • Years of service
  • Type of use the bike gets (daily ride, weekends, ocasional long trip, etc.)
  • Tender used and how often (daily, periodic, storage, etc.)
  • Type of tender (Battery Tender Jr., other, none, etc.)

OK. Had to replace my battery today. The interesting thing is that testing it on a 125 amp load for 15 sec. the voltage was around 10 Vdc. So that would have indicated that it was OK. But the CCA rating of the battery was only 201 A. It is rated at 335 A, so the battery did not have enough slap to goose the starter when it sees the starter as a dead short! It was giving that long hesitation when I mash the START button, and would then take off once the alternator kicked in as the starter slowly got the engine turning.

Here is my info:

Brand and model = HD AGM
Install date = 10/10
Replacement date = Today (9/20/12)
Years of service = 23 months
Type of use the bike gets = daily rider plus occasional weekends & trips (approx. 14,300 miles on battery)
Tender used and how often = every day
Type of tender (Battery Tender Jr., other, none, etc.) = BT Jr.

That was the last HD battery I will ever buy. Bought that in an emergency when the Odyssey finally gave up the ghost (after 4.5 years).

Today, installed an Interstate Battery Cycle-Tron Plus 30 AH (FAYIX30L). Total drive out including TTL was $164.19.

Let you know how that does.

TQ

TQ that does seem a very short life for a battery especially as it was not a cheap one
I got 4.5 years out of my last low cost agm battery and i think that the faulty vr killed it by overcharging

Brian

TQ that does seem a very short life for a battery especially as it was not a cheap one
I got 4.5 years out of my last low cost agm battery and i think that the faulty vr killed it by overcharging

Brian

Brian,

I think it is a symptom of "lowest bid wins" which seems to be HD's strategy on sourcing stuff!!

TQ

I just realized I didn't enter anything when I replaced my E.Glide battery.

Brand and model Original, installed at factory
Install date (mo. / yr.) July, 2007
Replacement date (mo. / yr.) Feb., 2012
Years of service 4yrs. 7 mos. (still working well, replaced before a trip)
Type of use the bike gets (daily ride, weekends, ocasional long trip, etc.) Avg. once a week, never less than 50 miles, usually several hundred miles.
Tender used and how often (daily, periodic, storage, etc.) Occasionally
Type of tender (Battery Tender Jr., other, none, etc.) BatteryMinder Plus

OEM battery gave no signs of problems. Didn't want to find out exactly when it would die. Replaced with Deka EX30 $110.

Mine just died.

Brand and model = HD AGM
Install date (2/10)
Replacement date (10/12)
Years of service = 2 years 8 months
Type of use the bike gets = Primary vehicle ridden daily, weekends, and trips.
Tender used and how often = Daily for the last year
Type of tender = Battery Tender Jr

Batteries Plus AGM batteries for harley made by DEKA. they have a 2 year warranty vs. the 1 year by the stealer and about 30 bucks cheaper. I used to use OEM batteries and had good luck. I change mine every four years no matter what. 30 bucks a year is good insurance for starting up, wherever you may be.

Back