free website stats program Let's see some data on batteries | Page 7 | Harley Davidson Forums

Let's see some data on batteries

[*]Brand and model : H-D AGM OEM
[*]Install date : May 2009 (new bike)
[*]Replacement date: Not yet, but haven't tried to start it this year.
[*]Years of service - 4 yrs in May
[*]Type of use the bike gets : Parked in unheated garage from November to end of March/Mid April. Some Spring, twice a week during summer minimum, some fall weather permitting
[*]Tender used and how often: H-D battery tender once a week in spring and fall, less often in summer if weather really pathetic; almost on continuous during winter.
[*]Type of tender: H-D battery tender (came with the Ultra)
When I checked the battery a couple days ago after unplugging it for a day from the tender, I had a healthy 12.9 volts. Still, I'm looking around to see who has batteries available just in case. Most likely will not buy replacement from the dealer. They are asking over $230CDN for the battery (ouch). Can get a Deka or Interstate AGM's for around the $145 mark in the area.

Update: Replaced the OE HD battery this spring after 7 yrs since it was sounding like my starter was dragging on start. Went with the Interstate AGM and back to starting like new.
The OE HD battery resides in my Craftsman garden tractor now and it's still working great.

I wound up going with the ThrottleX HDX30L from Amazon for $110 to my door. It is AGM, 400 CCA and the fit was perfect. The information sheet said it was made in the same factory as the Harley batteries so I opted to go with that instead of the 600 CCA Power Source that is made in China. I have only had it 2.5 months now but so far so good. Battery seems strong and I don't have a DC ammeter clamp to check the current out put while cranking.
My starter clutch failed about a month after installing the battery but I am sure that was not related. I went with All Balls Racing starter clutch since they seemed well recommended by forum folks.
Thanks for all the good info here.

Jeff, I agree. I have been using a couple of Schumacher Battery Maintainers for years but I did have an Everstart battery go bad after 10 months on a RS Venture while being kept on one of the maintainers. The replacement Everstart was still going strong 3.5 years later when I sold it.
I seem to have really good luck or really bad luck with batteries.

I'm a convert, those Lithium Ion batteries from Battery tender are definitely the way to go!

Used them in all my bikes for two years now and have nothing bad to say about them.

I'm a convert, those Lithium Ion batteries from Battery tender are definitely the way to go!

Used them in all my bikes for two years now and have nothing bad to say about them.

If this Interstate Batteries unit tanks too soon, I am definitely going to give the Battery Tender unit a try. It is physically smaller than the OEM or similar replacement batteries, but I will just have to use wedges to secure it in place. Definitely worth a try. These AGM batteries just have not proven themselves in my experience.

Cheers,

TQ

They are also about 10 times lighter, the high density foam spacers come with it as well as a 5 year warranty.
They also charge much faster. Like I say, I ain't found a downside yet!

Ive used a BT everyday for two batteries and never got more that 2.5 years out of one. This battery is has not seen the BT. We'll see what happens. It is my primary vehicle and gets ridden everyday. The extreme Florida heat for 5 months dont help either....
looks like it is my turn , still starts ,but starting to click a little. has oem amg from 2/08 . almost 9years . so i just ordered a new deka amg. bike is a 05 fxstb i bought in march of 09 . i think for the last 2 years ? it has been on a jr tender. it is an around town and weekend toy.

superglide.jpg I use a battery tender between every ride.Had my Orig. battery in an 09 FXDC,with 30k on it when we parted in 2012.Never a problem.

Back