free website stats program Killer Recipes | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Killer Recipes

Pork Butt I did yesterday

8lb. pork butt, preped the night before using liberal amount of pork rub (McCormick's), wrapped in foil overnight. Tied it up with butcher's twine and speared it with the rotisserie skewer. Warmed the grill to 250, set in a pan of water and foil wrapped oak splinters for smoking and cooked indirectly about 9hours, occassionally checking the water and grill temp. After the meat started pulling away from the bone, tested with a fork and the meat just fell off, it was ready. The pan of water is very important as to not let the butt dry out when cooking. Sure was yummy!

Shrimp Tacos!

Very easy recipe.

1/4 stick of margarine melted
1 doz med to large shrimp, deveined
1 tsp Cumin
1/8 tsp red pepper (cayenne)
1 tsp lime juice
dash of garlic salt

Throw everything in a shallow skillet and cook shrimp until just done (pink).
Serve with usual taco garnish, suggest soft shells and a cold Tecate!

yum!

Re: Killer Recipes (Bread)

No mixer/no knead, super crusty bread
Cast iron dutch oven with iron lid (This is the trick)
3-½ cups Bread Flour,
1-¼ teaspoon Salt
1 envelope (¼ Ounce) Yeast
1-½ cup Warm Water (120º To 130º F)
Corn meal (just to sprinkle on the bottom of the dutch oven)

This is a easy and cheap way to make really good, hearty bread that rivals I think, places like Panera and such. You don't need a mixer and once you try it, you may never buy bread from a store again. The long rise time (18-20 hours) lets the yeast do all the work in making gluten (holds the CO2 bubbles in bread). The dough will look a little wet. That is needed. Commercial ovens inject steam to make the bread really crust. (Sounds counter intuitive, doesn't it..) We cheat with a cast iron dutch oven with a lid, instead of a $10K oven. The preheated heat sink (dutch oven) traps the steam from the wet dough and make a gelatin on the surface. This is how the crust is formed. When you take the lid off, the gelatin sets= crust.
So,
Mix in a bowl with a fork or your hands until it is well mixed. Don't worry if there are lumps. Make sure the bowl is double the size, so it has room to rise.
Cover with plastic wrap and put it in your oven with just the oven light on (for warmth). I usually do this in the evening, before I go to bed. It takes 3 minutes.

Let the dough go for at least 8 hours. Just leave it alone.
Then take the bowl out of the oven and punch it down to knock the CO2 out of it. Put the plastic back on and put it back in the oven. This takes 1 minute. ( I do this in the morning before I leave for work.)
Leave it alone for 8-12 hours.

Take the bowl out of the oven and set it aside. Do not "knock it down" as before. Just leave it alone.
Put the dutch oven with lid, in the oven and preheat the oven to 425F.
When temp is reached, take the dutch oven out, sprinkle a little corn meal on the bottom. Then just scrape out the dough from the bowl, into the dutch oven. Try to leave as much "bubbles" in the dough as you can, but don't worry about it. Don't worry about how it looks, if it is uneven, looks too wet...trust me. Leave it alone.
Pop the lid on and bake for 30 minutes.
Then take the lid off and bake it for another 20 minutes or until it is as golden as you like it. Take it out of the dutch oven and let it cool before you cut it.

If anyone likes scalloped potatoes - my wife makes this one she found/modified a few years back...can add some cubed ham to make it the main dish too...enjoy!

SCALLOPED POTATOES
Serves 12

1 large clove garlic, peeled and cut in half
1 tablespoon butter, at room temperature
5 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/8 inch thick
4 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
4 teaspoons salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
4 cups heavy cream or milk
4 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated on the small holes of a box grater (2 cups)

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Rub the inside of a 3-quart gratin dish with the cut sides of the garlic clove. Using a pastry brush, spread butter evenly in dish. Cut a piece of parchment paper to cover the dish, and brush paper with softened butter.

2. Arrange one-fifth of potato slices in an even layer in the dish, and sprinkle with one-fifth of the thyme, salt, and pepper. Repeat for a total of five layers with remaining potatoes, thyme, salt, and pepper. Pour cream over potatoes, and cover with prepared parchment. Place baking dish on a Silpat-lined baking tray in oven, and bake until potatoes are tender when pierced with a knife, 45 to 60 minutes. Remove parchment, and sprinkle potatoes with cheese. Bake until cheese is melted and browned, about 30 minutes.

Here's an easy one to go with Iceman's potatoes!!!

Rotissorie Chicken on gas grill...super easy

1 whole chicken 3-4lb
1 tsp salt
1 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp balck pepper
1 stick butter

Heat your grill on high 15 minutes. (~450 deg) Tied up the legs and wings of the chicken with butcher's twine. Sprinkle salt inside cavity of chicken. Melt butter, combine with salt pepper, paprika. Brown the chicken on high temp ~ 15 minutes or so, watch for flare ups, reduce heat to med (~300 deg), paint the chicken with butter mix and roast for 1 1/2 to 2 hrs. (Don't forget your fav brew while it's cooking). Check thigh meat for doneness, juice will run clear not pink, let sit for 15 minutes before serving. Serve with Iceman's potatoes and anything else you can think of...call me when it's done!!

gator

I couldn't really put this under recipes since BBQ ain't a recipe but more a technique.

It's also about tasty eatin on budget. Many folks in my area of the country are hurtin right now. It's been lean down here since early 2009. BBQ is a great way to make cheap meats taste great. My wife and I do BBQ about once a week, and also a big slow cooker of Pinto Beans often. With some rice etc, you can eat good and still not spend a bunch.

I feel for the younger folks in my area, they are having a rough go of it. At our age my wife and I, have the house, car, bike, etc paid off and we have all of our retirement funds we put away our whole life. We always jumped on the employer matched SEP funds. Where they match (up to a percent) of what you put in, that's a 100 percent return right off the bat. You just can't beat those, one of the best tax breaks our government ever enacted. Pretty sure that all started back with Reagan.

But even so we have to watch our funds until hopefully I can go back to full time work again. Anyhow here are a couple of photos and a video at the end on how I do BBQ.

Getting Started
BG

Chicken, Polish Sausage, and Pork Loin. (about 3hrs cook time)
BG

Here is a short video of some Pork Butt. (about 3 to 4hrs cook time)
YouTube - ‪BBQ‬‏

CAJUN FRIED TURKEY

First, open one 16oz. cold Budwiser or whatever your brand may be.

For One Turkey

In a large bowl mix together the following:

1/2 bottle liquid Garlic 2oz. Bottle
1/2 bottle liquid Onion 2oz. Bottle
1/2 cup Crystal Hot Sauce
1/2 cup Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 cup Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning
1/4 cup Real Lemon juice
1 cup white wine

Inject the thawed turkey with the above mixture, be very liberal, inject
everywhere, legs, thighs, wings, back and breasts. Shake Tony's Creole
seasoning thoroughly in the cavity and on all outside areas of the turkey.
Allow to sit overnite in the refrigerator (10-12 hrs) so the seasoning will
permeate throughout the bird.

Open your second Budwiser.

In a large pot heat approx 3 gals of peanut oil to 350 degrees F. More may be
required depending on pot size or size of turkey. Your turkey should be in the
11 - 13 lb. range and should just be covered with the oil when lowered into the
pot. Frying for 3 min. per lb is the rule of thumb on turkeys up to 12 lb. If your
If your bird is over 13 lb. cook an additional 5 min for each lb. over 13. I do not
recommend frying a turkey any larger than 15 lb.

Put two more Budwisers on ice and call me when it is done.

your buddy, gator!

No mixer/no knead, super crusty bread
Cast iron dutch oven with iron lid (This is the trick)
3-½ cups Bread Flour,
1-¼ teaspoon Salt
1 envelope (¼ Ounce) Yeast
1-½ cup Warm Water (120º To 130º F)
Corn meal (just to sprinkle on the bottom of the dutch oven)

This is a easy and cheap way to make really good, hearty bread that rivals I think, places like Panera and such. You don't need a mixer and once you try it, you may never buy bread from a store again. The long rise time (18-20 hours) lets the yeast do all the work in making gluten (holds the CO2 bubbles in bread). The dough will look a little wet. That is needed. Commercial ovens inject steam to make the bread really crust. (Sounds counter intuitive, doesn't it..) We cheat with a cast iron dutch oven with a lid, instead of a $10K oven. The preheated heat sink (dutch oven) traps the steam from the wet dough and make a gelatin on the surface. This is how the crust is formed. When you take the lid off, the gelatin sets= crust.
So,
Mix in a bowl with a fork or your hands until it is well mixed. Don't worry if there are lumps. Make sure the bowl is double the size, so it has room to rise.
Cover with plastic wrap and put it in your oven with just the oven light on (for warmth). I usually do this in the evening, before I go to bed. It takes 3 minutes.

Let the dough go for at least 8 hours. Just leave it alone.
Then take the bowl out of the oven and punch it down to knock the CO2 out of it. Put the plastic back on and put it back in the oven. This takes 1 minute. ( I do this in the morning before I leave for work.)
Leave it alone for 8-12 hours.

Take the bowl out of the oven and set it aside. Do not "knock it down" as before. Just leave it alone.
Put the dutch oven with lid, in the oven and preheat the oven to 425F.
When temp is reached, take the dutch oven out, sprinkle a little corn meal on the bottom. Then just scrape out the dough from the bowl, into the dutch oven. Try to leave as much "bubbles" in the dough as you can, but don't worry about it. Don't worry about how it looks, if it is uneven, looks too wet...trust me. Leave it alone.
Pop the lid on and bake for 30 minutes.
Then take the lid off and bake it for another 20 minutes or until it is as golden as you like it. Take it out of the dutch oven and let it cool before you cut it.

Gator, just thought I'd throw out a suggestion too for those that have never deep fried a turkey. Before you unwrap the turkey, fill your pot with water, then submerge the turkey in the water so that is completely covered. Then remove the turkey and mark your pot to where the oil fill should be. This will prevent the pot from overflowing and causing a fire and less clean up.

Deep Fried Turkey's are the BEST:bigsmiley11:...And Gator is right, having some good beer on hand makes that cook time go by pretty fast:D

Porter, definitely sounds like some good bread. Going to try it out soon.

Gator, just thought I'd throw out a suggestion too for those that have never deep fried a turkey. Before you unwrap the turkey, fill your pot with water, then submerge the turkey in the water so that is completely covered. Then remove the turkey and mark your pot to where the oil fill should be. This will prevent the pot from overflowing and causing a fire and less clean up.

Deep Fried Turkey's are the BEST:bigsmiley11:...And Gator is right, having some good beer on hand makes that cook time go by pretty fast:D

Porter, definitely sounds like some good bread. Going to try it out soon.

That is solid advice for the novice turkey fryer. When I fried my first, many many moons ago, I made such a mess when the pot was too full of oil. Still had the insite to spread cat litter around the cooking area so cleanup was pretty easy

OK, we all like BBQ..right

Well I made up a mustard based sauce that quite good. A lot of these recipes are from SC, which I understand is the home of mustard BBQ..on to the recipie.

1/2 cup mustard, 1/3 cup Italian dressing, 1/2 teaspoon cayenne (if you like it hot), 1 tbsp brown sugar. Wisk it together, the consistency will be as red BBQ sauce, slather on whatever you are cooking, chicken or pork for about the last hour or so, turn occasionally not to burn. Enjoy!!

Somebody say BBQ?

I know nothing about it......

Bodeen

Attachments

• SMoker11-1.jpg
    SMoker11-1.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 32
Back