free website stats program Is that a real Harley? Grrrrrrr.... | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Is that a real Harley? Grrrrrrr....

While I have never been asked this question about my Street Glide, I have been asked it about my Suzuki Intruder. I think its question of the enthusiasts wanting to know more about bikes. Someone who rides and knows motorcycles will never ask that question. It just goes to show how big of a hold HD has on the motorcycling world. They are seeking knowledge and learning slowly but surely. For those in the "know", most understand that it is something that is often imitated, but NEVER duplicated!! Just MHO:D:D

While I have never been asked this question about my Street Glide, I have been asked it about my Suzuki Intruder. I think its question of the enthusiasts wanting to know more about bikes. Someone who rides and knows motorcycles will never ask that question. It just goes to show how big of a hold HD has on the motorcycling world. They are seeking knowledge and learning slowly but surely. For those in the "know", most understand that it is something that is often imitated, but NEVER duplicated!! Just MHO:D:D

I don't mind explaining the workings, history or any other Harley related question. If some body asks if its a harley, fine I'll answer all questions explain why they still only use 2 cylinders etc. But if you ask if its a real harley, you're not a bike enthusiast. my neice knows better.

When shopping for a trailer, I had some kid (couldn't have been older than 20) look out the shop window at my Super Glide and ask, "you lookin' to haul your Boulevard?"

I took my H-D clothed self (T-shirt and head scarf) out the front door without saying a word. The guy is probably still trying to figure out what happened.

Had a guy at a gas station say how cool my sportster was LOL I said thanks but its a Streetbob, he said no its a Sportster, so I said oops I guessI have the wrong air cleaner on my bike Thanks for telling me LOL

Big ROL,

I usually just respond with "WHAT!" then they repeat the question, then I say "Huh WHAT"! Then they say it again. We keep this going till they feel stupid and walk away. I know how you feel BIG, I have the vintage 60's HD Star and Banner emblems on my Tank. I was at a Harley dealership and another "Biker" walks upa and says "Is that one of those Yamaha "STAR" Motorcycles?". I know that Yamaha ripped off HD with that particular emblem but jeeze man!!!!!!!! If you know motorcycles that well to confuse the the emblems, you should know the design differences of the bikes too. Especially if you ride an HD!!!!!!! I said nothing, I was in shock, The emblem even says Harley Davidson ON IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The best was when a sportbiker commented, "Man that thing is cool lookin but is she fast" I went compleatly Han Solo on him with this "FAST?.....IS SHE FAST?..... SHE DID THE KESSEL RUN IN 8 PARSECS". The kid was completely baffled by the Star Wars Reference.

Well I guess when you look at it, didn't some famous dude say
"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" ?

Yeah but on a more seious note, I live in York PA, I can see the HD final assembly plant from my office window. I watch our proud american workers arrive at work every day. Last year there were 3,000 less showing up for work due to lay offs. Nothing makes me angrier than people ripping off a good american company like HD. Even victory does not stoop to the level that Honda or Yamaha will to rip off Harley Davidson. This town lives on that plant. If you ride a Harley in this town, the cops leave you alone. No one in our neighborhoods complain about the sound of a harley coming to life in the early morning. York is as close to HD heaven as you can get. I've been to Milwaukee and it's cool but it misses the small town charm that York has. 37 years in York building Harleys has shaped our community. So I kind of take it personal when the mistake is made.

Scott

Big Rol,

I didn't even know that Cape Breton has motorcycles?! News flash to me!!!!

Haha.

Next time someone asks if it's a Harley, tell em you've been wondering the same thing and if they find out, to let you know.

Cheers!

I was Asked that question 3 times today,:newsmile055: does it rankle other people as mush as me? and if so so does anyone have a good response. I said No to the last guy, but it's a real good counterfeit. I'm running out of responses.

is that a real question?

The question don't bother me. But when I read the want ads and someone selling their bike says "Sound just like a Harley"..I have to roll my eyes.

Back