free website stats program i guess its time to quit smoking | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

i guess its time to quit smoking

As some others have said, you really have to want to quit for yourself. Not anyone else. People can justify it anyway they want but it all starts between the ears. Somehow, I think my wife would tell me I needed to quit buying so much chrome if I quit smoking and spent the money at the HD shop :)

So, somewhat the same topic but a little side track. How is it that if someone that smoked dies from a form of cancer (and I'm not saying smoking is good for you or anything like that) it is blamed on the nasty habbit, but, if a marathon runner developes some the same thing, it's bad luck??

Smoking is not good for you and I don't think that is debated, but can every ailment under the sun be blamed on that one single thing??

Sorry. Off my soap box now.

Your a bigger man hippie13 than those nasty cigarettes! I stopped almost a year ago cold turkey after trying everything from The Patch, Chantix, other depressent pills to a guy in a grass skirt (witch doctor). It all comes down to you if you really want to stop smoking.

It's not easy and it's your decision. Many support groups (like here) that know exactly what your saying and where your coming from. I quit many times over the years before I had in my mind this is it and I'm throwing them in the trash for good. You'll make it and good luck.

As others have said you have to want it or will be very difficult. I'm 9 months without one cigarette after 21 years of smoking. I quit cold turkey as everything else; patch, chantix, hypnosis had failed for me in the past. Also, I did not have a single drink for the first couple of months, every other time I failed to quit it started wth 1 cig at the bar. If you go cold turkey the first 72 hours is the worst, after that the physical withdrawl tapers off and you just have to come up with a routine to fill the spots where you would smoke.

On mnultra's point. If a marathon runner gets lung cancer it is bad luck. If a cigarette smoker gets lung cancer, its the result of a calculated risk taken by the smoker. It says right on the side of 1 in 4 packs that smoking causes lung cancer. Now I'm not sure that smoking causes all of the things that are clamed but I do know that the biggest cause of death in house fires is smoke inhalation, seems like a bad idea to set something on fire and inhale the smoke on purpose.

Yes I'm one of those cigarette hating ex-smokers, only way to stay quit.

Good luck quiting, if you need support feel free to pm me.

You'll know when the time is right. I personally got to the point where I said " these little white sticks are in control of my life, my time, my health and my bank account" and I'm not going to stand for it anymore. It also helped that my wife and myself found ourselves having to pull our kids out of organized activities beacause of "the cost", what was I thinking, we were spending money to slowly kill ourselves and depriving our kids of a healthy lifestyle "not cool". You will find a trigger that will stop you in your tracks and give you that little extra motivation. GOOD LUCK.

The more time you spend riding the less time you have to smoke.:newsmile042:

Like several others have posted in thier own terms, You gotta want to do it for yourself, REALLY want to do it. The the aids are helpful, but your mindset is what will carry you through. You can do it Hippy!!

You'll quit when you want to. You don't need any aids to quit either, you just have to want to. Right now it appears from your comment that you're contemplating quitting.

When you really want to quit just don't smoke any more and then you will have quit, period.

You will want to smoke for a few days, but remember that the urge only lasts around 5-10 minutes and then goes away. Your body will go through withdrawls for about 2-3 days, but after that it is your brain.

You can do this if you want, but you really have to want to, and after you have quit never entertain the notiion of having even a drag, never ever do this, or it will set you up to start again. You can never go back.
It's that simple. Nothin' more, nothin' less.

I quit several years ago after several attempts. I "fell off the wagon" for a while when I would smoke a cigar now and them. I quit the occasional cigar with relative ease.

For me, I just had to convince myself that smoking was something I absolutely didn't want to do. I never used any aids to quit. Guess I was lucky in that respect. Best of luck in your efforts.

Well, I smoked for about 18 yrs. :bigsmiley28: July 10th was 1 year of being tobacco free! :) I had tried a few times while on active duty, cold turkey, and the patch /gum etc. Failed everytime due to 1. Not really sure if I wanted to quit,:wall 2. Drinking Beer, :drunkand 3. Hanging out with my smoker friends who would "tease" me with 'em:bigsmiley29:(kinda uncool now that I think about it:lolrolling). After leaving active duty and getting a "civilian" job at a smoke free facility (can't smoke anywhere on the property, including your car, you must leave the property, or you'll get a 3 day vacation) I decided I wanted to quit for good. My employer has a quit smoking program, and they paid for the chantix. June 2008 I started taking chantix, within a few weeks the taste of smoking was worse and worse, to where I would light up and take a few puffs and then throw it out. Then I hit my "quit date" and stopped for about two weeks, fell off the wagon, then threw out the pack a few days later, and have been smoke free since July 10th 2008. I will say the money saved is amazing!:newsmile030: But my health has actually gotten worse since I quit...:(..after about 6 months smoke free, I was having a hard time breathing while walking, go up stairs, etc, so I went to the doc and he diagnosed me with asthma. Still can't breathe very good. Not trying to talk you out of quiting or scare you, but it can happen...Not everyone who quits get healther....(+ your back and rear end will start hurting as your wallet gets thicker:newsmile100:)

But if your gonna try, YOU really need to want to! It takes alot of will power. The chantix definenately helped as well! Having someone hounding you to quit helps too (support kinda, my old lady quit with me). I still get cravings occassionally, but gum or a mint helps with that...It's crazy because it "stinks", but a brief whiff smells good at the same time:yeahright. But I can go to the bar or my friends house, and cant stand smelling it, nor do I want one.

Good luck to you if you decide to go for it, I recommend it!:s

after 35 yrs+ and 2 pack a day I'm tabaco free thanks to my doctor
they have the resources to help tou quit, but the main thing is wanting to quit for your self not for any one else, I been 9 years free and feeling a lot better:D

I smoked for 35+ years. Second wife did not like it, put up with it for 10 years, then bugged me bad. I knew she was right about smoking, just wasn't at the point yet. Finally decided it was time. Went to the doctor, he put me on the patch. Went home, smoked the rest of the day, got up the next day and never had another cigarette. That was 15 years ago. For a while I would stand with the crowd that smoked and cheat a little by breathing in the second hand smoke. It slowly got to where that started to bug me and I tapered off. After about 2 years, I found the smell of tobacco smoke offensive, and now stay out of bars and restaurants that allow smoking. It takes time and will power, but eventually the urge goes away and not smoking seems natural.

If you are not really ready to quit, be careful what you do. My doctor was convinced that if you quit for a while, let your lungs partially heal, then start up again, that the damage is worse than if you had kept on smoking. I have never seen any studies to support this, but he was very strong in this belief.

Good luck if you are ready and decide to quit.

Back