free website stats program i guess its time to quit smoking | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

i guess its time to quit smoking

I finally quit after many attempts 21 years ago.What workeed for me in the end was thinking about ALL the bad stuff about smoking,every time I lit up,told myself how stupid and piontless it looked every time I saw somebody smoking.It worked!After about 2 weeks of this I had put myself in the "I'm not doing this anymore "frame of mind,and,tho I still had the cravings,I could resist the temptation without any problem.Gone totally the other way now,I detest smoking and everything about it so much,it doesnt take much of the smell to kick my athsma off.All in the head,I know,but sooner this than still indulging in a particularly filthy habit like smoking. Hope this is of some help to you dude.

I quit smoking and you're right it is a hard habit to break. You have to wan to quit before you can. If the willpower isn't there it won't make any difference what you use to help you won't be able to quit. Lots of luck and I hope you succeed.

I picked up the habit when I was 23, wife and I had split up and since dad did it, it seemed like the thing to do. Well my wife and I got back together and she hated it but I enjoyed smoking. It was a drug that calmed me down and relaxed me.

Although I hated the way I smelt and the nasty taste in my mouth but did it anyway. For some odd reason after about 5 years of smoking one day I didn't like it so much. Maybe it was because of my wifes nagging along with my 7 year old daughter and my 2 1/2 year old son mimicking me like it was cool. I decided enough was enough.

My wife and I were in Wal-Mart one day and I shocked her buy going to the Pharmacy area and buying the gum.

Started on a Monday and was shocked at how well I did. Although for the first 3 days I smoked a half of a cig on my way home as the urge was too much and not worth it.

Take it day by day and each day you make it is a huge success.

Now, I did sneaked about 1 cig a month for about the first year. Then the last time got sick and said never again. Although this is the single hardest thing I have ever done. It IS a drug and I still get the urge all the time. I know for sure if I could smoke on occasion and my kids not find out I would in a heat beat. I want to set a good example for them so I don't dare do it. Just about anyone I have talked to that has ever smoked still gets the urge from time to time.

Good luck to you buddy and if I can ever offer any words of encouragement to you PM me.

I know this is going to sound harse, but I know it worked on one occasion. Just THINK about it...then go visit your local hospital and meet with someone who waited too long to quit. They're dying and they know it. If you spend some time with them and listen to them lament about how they wished they could have quit sooner, it just might help you gain the WILL POWER to help yourself. After all, once all the chemical crutches wear off, it still boils down to you. You have to WANT to stop smoking. The experience of talking to someone who knows it's too late will never leave your mind and just might be the difference. If you get that urge, as we all do, that memory may stop you. Time will help. Good luck. Quit over 38 years ago and have never had another drag.. I give thanks to that man I met in the hospital back in 1970....he won't let me.

I lost my Mom to lung cancer May 14, 2009. She quit smoking 20 yrs ago. If you don't do it for you alone, quit for your family. I know it must be hard to quit and luckily I have never even tried smoking so it is easy for me to say. Good luck to you.

I quit 3 months ago. I've had a couple cheats but have otherwise been smoke free for 11 weeks today!!

Smoked for 30+ years. Tried the patch, cold turkey, pricing etc. What finely worked for me was...

A. Realizing I didn't start smoking 2 packs a day way back when, I worked my way up to it. Used the reverse and slowly decreased the amount I smoked over time, until I was down to one cig every couple of days.

B. Then I realized I really had kicked the nico habit and the one every couple of days was the oral fixation that smokers also suffer. By that time I had had enough of smoking, smell, taste and the oral part was easy to overcome. For me I just refused to give into it. For others a lemon drop is the cure.

That was 6 years ago and other than a fleeting urge at odd times I haven't missed it. Granted there isn't anything "quick" about my cessation method. In fact my time line was 2.5 years from start to finish. But then again when compared to the rest of my life it really didn't take that long.

The bigget hurddle to quitting is the brain.
If you're not ready in your head - your body won't follow.

Back