free website stats program How Long Between Oil Changes | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

How Long Between Oil Changes

What does Blackstone say about your miles on the oil sample?
They advised me to keep change periods between 2500 & 3000.....after that there would be too high a count of metals in the oil.....but the other oil properties were above average for HD

I am a bit surprised that the oil has that much metal that they would recommend you changing at that early of a mileage.

Oil is definately the lifeblood of our engines but quality air filters and oil filters are companion products for the engine and the oil.

Are you doing regular air filter cleaning or change? The air filter will keep the dirt and contaminants from being drawn into an engine. Those contaminants can be a leading cause of engine wear.

The Oil filter is equally as important. Its job is to filter the suspended contaminants that the oil carries and keep them from returning back into the engine.
They asked me the same question... I have a stage 1 SE air cleaner. The filter gets cleaned and re-oiled the same time I change oil. I do drive a lot on gravel roads at low speeds. Very dusty at times. I only buy gas from a non ethanol station close by home. I have 26k ont my FLSTC. Blackstone says the copper values are above average but not concerned about internal problems. So to be on the safe side,,,i stay at 3000. I have waited to 6k on the primary a couple times when the weather here wasnt above 95F I also only use HD filters.

Last edited:
Lots of good reason to use their brand but there is better, IMO. Here is mine...

AMSOIL Ea Motorcycle Oil Filter (EaOM)
Aways wanted to try Amsoil.....several of buddies swear by it. I also like Redline but its even harder and more expensive to get. what filter is reced for a 09 flstc in black and chrome? What oiil types would you rec?? I buy 6 quarts of Mobil1 vTwin for $8.99-10.99 a quart. Redline would cost about $150.00 and take 1-2 weeks toget it plus shipping?
Any help would be appreciated!:small3d031::bigsmiley23:

I have a 09 S/G Been changing the oil before the 2000 mile mark, normal North East riding, but it seems like all I do is change fluids, I am running Amsoil 20-50 syn. And we all know oil changes are not cheep anymore.
I ask all, how many miles are you going between changes. I would like to extend a bit,
As I Age so does my thinking It seems I am keeping a great motor for someone else , putting 30 k on my bikes then upgrading to another model.
How long between changes would you suggest.
Thanks

I change all the fluids at 3,000-4,000 miles. But I use the following:

Generic fluid recommendations

Engine: FULL synthetic 20W50 VTwin engine oil
Tranny: FULL synthetic 75W140 GL-5 gear lube
Primary: Fit-for-purpose chaincase/wet clutch lubricant (like HD Formula + or Spectro Primary, Redline Primary, etc.)

TQ

I use Mobil V-twin syn 20-50 in all three holes and change every 5000 miles. I think it might be a bit excessive but hopefully keep the engine in good condition.

It might keep the engine in good condition but not the tranny, running engine oil in there is a big mistake.

With Mobil 1 you will find they actually recommend using their motor oil in our HD tranny on their website's FAQ page. The company I represent (AMSOIL) also recommends it as a first choice.

Of course they recommend it......you use more of their oil. Why would anyone put anything other than GEAR oil in a GEAR box? I have used Mobil One when I first got the bike then swithched to Redline and the difference is very profound.

Back