free website stats program How Long Between Oil Changes | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

How Long Between Oil Changes

5k changes in the crank case. I run M1 20w50. running like a champ. If my bike runs hot (EITMS kicks in) on more than a few occasions, I will change early. These newer bikes can run hot and are brutal on oil.

I run AmsOil 20W50 in my Heritage Classic and change the crankcase every 6000 miles. I change the filter, also AmsOil, every 3000 miles. The Primary and the tranny get drained every5000 and refilled with AmsOil 20W50. So far, no problems. Shifts like a dream and runs quiet. :bigsmiley12:

thanks everybody for the thoughts and recommendations. lots of different opinions but sounds like most of us go 3-5k between oil changes and use a synthetic oil. oh, and change the oil filter at the same time. (had to smile when i read that change the filter alone strategy proposed by one person!, but whatever gets u where u wanna go.)

In my 1999 road king I did amsoil all 3 holes every 5k
My 2011 roadglide ultra has mobil 1 20/50 in the eng,prime and redline in tranny
5k for eng,prime and now the tranny I'm going 10k

I go 5k on the engine oil, also use Mobile 1 Vtwin.
Stopped by the Harley shop today and they now carry
amsoil, must not be a gold bar dealer.

The only way to know how your engine needs a change is to have your oil tested at lab. Pick the oil you want to use and every 2K miles send a sample in to be check, they will tell you when it's time to change the oil. Anything else is just people taking a shot in the dark.

The only way to know how your engine needs a change is to have your oil tested at lab. Pick the oil you want to use and every 2K miles send a sample in to be check, they will tell you when it's time to change the oil. Anything else is just people taking a shot in the dark.

? for ya ------ how long between changes on your end??

? for ya ------ how long between changes on your end??

The V-Rod which is a shared sump, I use Rotella T6 5w-40 I get 8K miles. With the Ultra I only have 2.7K miles so far, at the 1K service I went to Mobil 1 V-Twin, will send sample out every 2K miles on the oil. You only need to the 2K oil sample test once maybe twice, after I get the base line mileage I just change it at that mark and send a sample in.

I should add that I'm a 365 rider, unless there is snow or ice on the roads. I ride around 25K to 30k a year on bike. For me, getting the oil tested is well worth it for me. I do save money with extended oil drains.

For the guys that only put a couple thousand miles a year, just change it before putting the bike away for the winter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back