free website stats program How Long Between Oil Changes | Harley Davidson Forums

How Long Between Oil Changes

badge171

I have a 09 S/G Been changing the oil before the 2000 mile mark, normal North East riding, but it seems like all I do is change fluids, I am running Amsoil 20-50 syn. And we all know oil changes are not cheep anymore.
I ask all, how many miles are you going between changes. I would like to extend a bit,
As I Age so does my thinking It seems I am keeping a great motor for someone else , putting 30 k on my bikes then upgrading to another model.
How long between changes would you suggest.
Thanks

I have a 09 S/G Been changing the oil before the 2000 mile mark, normal North East riding, but it seems like all I do is change fluids, I am running Amsoil 20-50 syn. And we all know oil changes are not cheep anymore.
I ask all, how many miles are you going between changes. I would like to extend a bit,
As I Age so does my thinking It seems I am keeping a great motor for someone else , putting 30 k on my bikes then upgrading to another model.
How long between changes would you suggest.
Thanks
Running syn oil you can run more miles between changes. You'll get lots of opinons from others on the forum and that does not make them wrong, just thier opinon. So having said that I run about 5,000 miles between changes.

5000 on engine and primary 10000 on tranny mobil 1 vtwin in engine spectro nonsyn in primary and spectro 6 speed full syn in tranny :bigsmiley12:

I just went from a lifetime of 3,000 mile changes, to my service manual interval of 5,000 miles (Mobil1 V-twin20/50). I admit I spent the last 2,000 miles feeling a little "guilty". On the other hand, by buddy has an identical bike, with 20,000 more miles than me, and changes ONLY every 10,000 miles (same oil as me). Everyone has their own opinion.

I do mine twice a year because I don't put more than about six thousand miles a year. 20-50 in the winter and 20-60 in the summer the AZ. heat can be brutal in the summer. :(

I use Mobil V-twin syn 20-50 in all three holes and change every 5000 miles. I think it might be a bit excessive but hopefully keep the engine in good condition.

Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w/50 all three holes every 3000 miles. Every other oil change I send samples to Blackstone Labs...no problems so far!!:bigsmiley12:

Back