free website stats program How Long Between Oil Changes | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

How Long Between Oil Changes

I use Redline 20W50 in the engine and Redline shock proof in tranny. Change the engine oil at every 3000 miles and tranny every other oil change which my be a little over kill. I have 32,000 miles on her and she does not use any oil. JMO

In this inferno I live in I barely get to 3k miles before changing it even when I was running synthetic....

if you want to run your syn oil a bit longer than you feel comfortable,
change the oil filter . the oil gets diry as we know, but the superiority of syn oil
allows you to run it more miles. just change the oil filter, which will filter out
the small carbon deposits.
also about 30 miles or so before you chane oil add some sea foam additive to the oil. and that will help to flush out more junk in the tank.
yyyyeeesss!!drain the oil while its hot. & use a SCAVENGER oil drain system to get
out what used oil is in your engine & oil lines.
when you reinstall the drain plug use TFE PASTE plumbing salant )wn"0"
ring. ACE hardware has them in 2 pck.yyore a ways from yor dealer.
and just snug on the drainplug, just enough to squash the 0 ring.
14-21 ft. lbs on the twin cam.
you can buy a new click 1/4 " TORQUE WRENCH ON-LINE FOR ABOUT 30.00.

if you want to run your syn oil a bit longer than you feel comfortable,
change the oil filter . the oil gets diry as we know, but the superiority of syn oil
allows you to run it more miles. just change the oil filter, which will filter out
the small carbon deposits.

Am I missing something? Don't you have to drain the oil to change the filter? So you're saying you drain the oil, change the filter, and then pour the old oil back in?

Am I missing something? Don't you have to drain the oil to change the filter? So you're saying you drain the oil, change the filter, and then pour the old oil back in?

No. You do not have to drain the oil to change the filter. When you only change the filter you do lose whatever oil is in the filter, but the filter only holds a few ounces. Just top off the oil tank with new oil afterwards.

No. You do not have to drain the oil to change the filter. When you only change the filter you do lose whatever oil is in the filter, but the filter only holds a few ounces. Just top off the oil tank with new oil afterwards.

Learn something new every day!

Follow the advice of the manufacturer for your bike which is to change fluids in the crankcase every 5000 miles. Makes no difference if you are running dino or synthetic oil. Any more often than that and you are just feeding somebody elses bulldog.

5,000 for the crankcase. Mobil 1 or Royal Purple 20W-50

so far, HD 5 Micron nominal filters.
Tried to go to an amsoil eA0, but local dealer decided a cheap substiturte was equal, maybe next time.

Not: I only decided to use the eA0 AFTER finding reliable independent data on it, multi pass filtering with particle counting. I belive them to be really good filters, but sales guy killed it last time.

Back