free website stats program Hot in Florida | Harley Davidson Forums

Hot in Florida

Mavagrand

80* here in Florida today so me and the g/f took a 200mi ride (round trip) to Anna Maria Island. She to soak up the sun, me to read a book under the shade. Great day. only thing wrong with it was how hot my bike ran..installed an oil temperature gauge a while back b/c I wanted to get an exact reading. I am running stock pipes w/xIEDs installed. I have Spectro Gold in the crank case, Spectro gear oil in tranny and HD Formula + in the primary. ON the highway cruising at 65 -70, the temp got up to 250*, soon as I hit a few lights in Bradenton, she was pushing 300* and the heat management kicked in. I was hoping the xIEDs would have reduced the temp more. Oh well, price you pay for owning a big ol' air cooled engine. Time for an oil cooler.

Inline Enrichment Device. They are a simple and EZ to install "resistor" that fools the ECM into thinking the engine is lean which results in more fuel getting added, hence the bike runs cooler. They also allow for faster throttle response due to the extra fuel. Some guys swear you can use them in place of a Stage 1 (I wouldn't) but if you plan on keeping your bike stock and want it to run a little cooler with a LOT more pep, you should check into them..google "Nightrider IED" and you should find them..or do a search on this forum, plenty of info here as well.

We rode from Salt Springs to New Symerna and riding I95 at 75 & 80 oil temp stayed below 230

80* here in Florida today so me and the g/f took a 200mi ride (round trip) to Anna Maria Island. She to soak up the sun, me to read a book under the shade. Great day. only thing wrong with it was how hot my bike ran..installed an oil temperature gauge a while back b/c I wanted to get an exact reading. I am running stock pipes w/xIEDs installed. I have Spectro Gold in the crank case, Spectro gear oil in tranny and HD Formula + in the primary. ON the highway cruising at 65 -70, the temp got up to 250*, soon as I hit a few lights in Bradenton, she was pushing 300* and the heat management kicked in. I was hoping the xIEDs would have reduced the temp more. Oh well, price you pay for owning a big ol' air cooled engine. Time for an oil cooler.

That is why my wife and I decided this morning after getting up to a very foggy and drizzling rain and needed to see some sunshine.We just had the coldest November in many years and last week it seemed as though we were living in London. After checking the weather and noticed that Tampa was going to be 80 we packed our clothes and bikes and left the London weather to head toward Tampa. Tonight we are staying in Jacksonville and will be in Tampa by early afternoon tomorrow. Planning on riding to St. Pete on Monday and ride the bridges and take in the scenery. Monday night hope to have dinner at Berns and head back to Charlotte on Tuesday. Today after ridding in the fog and drizzle, shortly after hitting I-95 the fog started to disappear and before Jacksonville already in the 70's. That's what I call a change in seasons.... all in one day!!

I think I speak for many up here I no longer wish to hear about your 80 degree weather til at least april .

You know fellas, Florida has its advantages and 80* weather in December is one of them. But you guys have the scenery and views that we in Florida do not. Don's misunderstand me Florida has some beautiful roads (they run along the shore line and, around Ocala actually have a few "hills") but for the most part the roads are all flat and not very challenging. I do enjoy year round riding down here but I have taken trips up North to the Pennsylvania area and, my goodness, the beauty is breath taking. I was in sensory overload. My g/f parents' live in Oregon and I gotta get out there on the scoot cause it was unbelieveable...all the mountain roads and switch backs...once again not available in Florida. So, while we in Florida may have the "quantity" rides, you guys definately have the "quality" rides.

I agree with DAN1551, I'm also tired of hearing what good weather and great riding is being down south, while us bikers up North only dream of riding this time of the year. I too, can't wait til spring. This is the only aspect of this site I hate. Reading about you southerners taking a ride, while I look outside at 12 inches of snow and 20 degrees.

Just keep in mind Florida in September is Africa hot. Outside at 0630 sweating like a pig just walking. So this is our time. I would prefer to live in Tenn. But the wife and a good job keep me in Florida. And there is something to be said for being able to ride in short sleeves on Christmas day :)

Back