free website stats program Hit by a truck, now what? I need advice! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Hit by a truck, now what? I need advice!

some time ago a friend of mine was in an accident a lot like yours here in CA 4 years later his case settled for around 450k he still has some residual pain and is thinking trike for the next ride used one of the biker lawyers like kirby and kirby or leventhal they are always at the biker shows no charge till case settled

Sit down with a good lawyer. I should not cost too much for the consult, and will likely pay for itself, as teh cost would be rolled into your damages. Do not wait.

Rich P

+1. Get a lawyer and let him worry about the details. Concentrate on getting well. Remember...You didn't ask for this to happen just because you ride a bike!

Been there done that. Do NOT WAIT, Do NOT TRUST the insurance company. Immediately ask around and call a good personal injury lawyers (not just any type lawyer). Most all of them operate on no cost to you. Ask on your first call.

This is where lawyers are needed. Hopefully the person at fault has sufficient insurance. Sadly many states drop the ball here and the pay off is pitiful compared to your needs. But a lawyer can fill you in on all that AND OTHER OPTIONS.

GO IMMEDIATELY TO A GOOD LAWYER, DO NOT PASS GO, OR STOP FOR SNACKS. BELIEVE ME MAN, I HAVE BEEN WHERE YOU ARE NOW.

Hope you heal quickly and are back riding soon. My prayers are with you.

and accept NO money at all from their insurance company, without talking to a lawyer first. and sign NOTHING!!!!! if you do, they can say that is final settlement once you've signed off and accepted payment. you will have no recourse. and if their insurance has minimum liability/personal injury coverage, that insurance company is only liable for what the policy is written for. anything else you're awarded has to come from the driver, if he has it. if not, you're out of luck. you'll have a judgement, but never be able to collect on it. good luck.

I agree with the statement above. Get a good attorney that specializes in representing motorcycle riders that have been involved in accidents. Do that now. Keep every scrap of paper you receive from anyone having anything to do with the accident or subsequent activities of any sort. Print out a hardcopy of anything you get electronically. If you get texts on you cel phone, copy and paste those into something you can print out as a hardcopy, date them and sign each.

TQ

To everyone who has responded at this point : I have read each and every word of every post and I will be better able to make the right decisions. In my heart, I suppose I knew the answer, but after reading your input, I feel better about doing it. Thank you all that took the time to respond. I learned some interesting things as I read your replies. Learning is a good thing!

Be well and ride safe! See ya back out there as soon as I can be there! :)

To everyone who has responded at this point : I have read each and every word of every post and I will be better able to make the right decisions. In my heart, I suppose I knew the answer, but after reading your input, I feel better about doing it. Thank you all that took the time to respond. I learned some interesting things as I read your replies. Learning is a good thing!

Be well and ride safe! See ya back out there as soon as I can be there! :)

Glad we could all be of help in some way or other. Please keep us updated as you go through the legal and medical processes. We're all pulling for you and it will be an education for all of us if we ever find ourselves in your shoes.

.. .. .. ..
You need a lawyer, not out of spite or bitterness, but because you are injured and may need long term considerations (based on your story you shared) If the "longtime friends" dont' understand that then they really aren't your friends are they? Good luck on your healing

NYSDEUCERIDER in my haste to reply to you I failed to noticed the other partner was your friend (or maybe I still misunderstand that area). But if he is your friend, you need to discuss that issue with your lawyer also, since he is gonna have pertinant discussions on logistics in that area.

Keep in mind most ALL personaly injury lawyers work on a 'They get paid when you get paid' basis. Find out how much of the damage awards will go to the lawyer. In my area it's 33% plus office fees (paper, copies etc). They can be pretty ridiculous with the office fee part (mine was $520 over an 8 week period).

So you will loose a third of the awarded monies and the insurance company many times will use this as bait to get you sign a release for their maxium payoff amount. Do not sign anything until you first do your FREE consultation with your lawyer of choice. He can let you know what the payoff will be they are offering and what other options you may (or may not) have. But one thing to consider there are other payoffs the insurance company will not volunteer information about, and many times even paying the lawyer a third will end up pocketing more in your pocket. (not to mention long term down the road problems)

I am very disappointed in the auto insurance laws and requirements in our state and hopefully your state requires better minumal coverage OR you have previously purchased underinsured coverage on your own to compensate for such. Good luck man.

NYSDEUCERIDER,

First off, sorry to hear of your accident hope you heal well and quickly. Had an accident back in March, still trying to get things settled.
Sage advice given by everyone here, get a good lawyer. Let him/her handle the legal stuff, you have enough to worry about in the healing process.

One thing comes to mind I would make sure your attorney does, and that is to send what is called a "letter of protection" to everyone that submits medical bills on your behalf. While not legally binding, most entities will accept this and put your billing on hold so to speak until your case settles. It will help keep your credit in good standing and you won't have to pay out thousands right away! Good Luck!

It has been a couple weeks since I posted the above request for a little advice. Many of you came thru with good points and they were well heeded. I HAVE retained a lawyer and so far, just the peace of mind that came from NOT having the legal stuff to deal with has been worth it.

Turns out, my Deuce was totalled and I'm now awaiting the check for that.I was very attached to my bike (my first REAL bike!):( and it was hard to let it go. I had the noble idea that I could purchase a new frame and resurrect it. NO ONE could or would give me answers regarding whether I would be stuck with a SALVAGE title, or any of the other ramifications of it being totalled. Amazing, that in a world where bikes get totalled every day, not one person could be found that knew the answers! :bigsmiley4: So I cut it loose and am ready to go shopping! :panic

The physical healing is on track - slow, but each week is a gain! How far it will progress, no one can say. But, I AM a stubborn kinda guy and I refuse to give up, so I will take each small gain and be glad for it! I refuse to let injuries win! Thanks again for the information you all shared so willingly and also for the good wishes - the wishes made me feel not so alone. Next season, when I am back on two wheels, when I wave to the bikers along the byways and highways, it will be a "Thank you, fellow biker!" just in case I might be passing YOU! :s

Back