free website stats program Hit by a truck, now what? I need advice! | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Hit by a truck, now what? I need advice!

Thanks for the update and glad to hear things are working out for you. As to the Duece being totaled, the title is usually branded as such. So even if rebuilt with new frame the VIN would be different and after rebuilt a reconstructed title would have to be applied for, which can be a very difficult process.

NYSDEUCERIDER as dbmg said, (depending on your individual state's laws) it can be difficult to resurrect a totalled (salvage) vehicle. I know a guy in N.C. that did do it, but here in Florida it is much more difficult.

Here if you accept the totalled payoff on the insurance THEY take the vehicle (bike) and can legally only sell it for salvage. If you want to repair the bike, you have to give up the claim and payoff. And of course if the frame has to be replaced (which holds the VIN number) you would have to call your state Title and Tag agency for information on how you would do that.

Usually the payoff is not enough to replace a bike. But if the accident was someone else's fault the lawyer can many times get you the 'REPLACMENT' cost settlement of that year and condition of your vehicle.

Glad to hear you are doing better and glad you have a Lawyer and not at the mercy of the insurance company. They did not get a rich as they are feeling sorry for folks like you.

Thanks for the update and glad to hear things are working out for you. As to the Duece being totaled, the title is usually branded as such. So even if rebuilt with new frame the VIN would be different and after rebuilt a reconstructed title would have to be applied for, which can be a very difficult process.

What I was 'told' (and man, I've been told a LOT lately! :56:) is that the neck of my frame would have to be cut out and sent to H-D and a brand new frame would then be issued with MY VIN stamped in the new neck. I dunno, if it is fact, just know it started sounding like more problems than I needed! Even then, I am not convinced that it would not have SOME sort of 'pimple' on the title that would bite me - valuewise.

What I was 'told' (and man, I've been told a LOT lately! :56:) is that the neck of my frame would have to be cut out and sent to H-D and a brand new frame would then be issued with MY VIN stamped in the new neck. I dunno, if it is fact, just know it started sounding like more problems than I needed! Even then, I am not convinced that it would not have SOME sort of 'pimple' on the title that would bite me - valuewise.

What a shame and how long of a wait. I know how attached we become with our bikes, you are still on the prayer chain and hope you are on the mend

What a shame and how long of a wait. I know how attached we become with our bikes, you are still on the prayer chain and hope you are on the mend

Thanks Jack! So far, no indication of when I might have a check. :56: I've been looking around and am currently negotiating on a 'clone' of my Deuce. If it doen't pan out, I think I will sit back and watch for a super deal over the winter. In the meantime, I think the ole body is healed up enough to start trying out some different bikes. Who knows what will wheel out of my driveway in the spring, huh? Wouldn't it be nice to shake the money tree so I could look for what I WANT, rather than what I can AFFORD! :newsmile042:

Glad to hear that you have some peace of mind and that you are healing okay. I still have an extra deuce looking for a good home. :D Good luck with everything. Take your time and get yourself healed up. Bikes will be around for a long time.

When it comes to cars I know some that have taken the check and then had first bid on the wreck from the insurance company and with the solvage title have turned a nice profit. At least you may be able to get some goodies off of it.
Glad your recovery is going well.

this is not advise just something to think about..... i have a very good friend who was rear ended...he was very patient for a settlement.... took 4 years and all he got was his medical bills paid....he wont do that again

I read each and every post and appreciate the advice, warnings and good wishes. I'm still seeing the doctors, but for the most part I am experiencing a decent recovery and hope in time to be able to be pain free, or close to it.
The other side of it is all good - I cut the ties to my beloved Deuce and took the check. With the check I was able to go shopping and I found a SUPER pristine replacement Deuce...... 7,000 less miles, nice additional goodies such as V&H Big Shots, V&H Fuel Pack, SE air intake, braided cables and hoses, and H-D Flame series f & r pegs and grips,and so on. One small blemish on the rear fender (scratch) and the rest is virtually as it rolled off the showrrom floor. It even came in the right color! I am VERY pleased with my purchase!:newsmile093:

Too bad winter :newsmile08: is now here, but just wait until Spring!:newsmile036:

Back