free website stats program Highway Cruising Speed | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Highway Cruising Speed

On the Interstate, I usually run with traffic. However, I try to avoid it as much as possible. I prefer to ride backroads at 45-60mph.

Depends on many variables but generally 50-60 mph on the back roads and 70-80 on the big road. The 6th gear sure makes it more tolerable.

I guess I am in the minority here. I have only had the bike for a couple of months now, but it likes the higher speeds (and so do I!!). Usually around 85 on the highway when other cars are around, but I live out in the country, and it takes a while to get anywhere, so it's not uncommon for the bike to sit around 100 for a while. Threw a GPS on the handlebars once just to clock it. Hit about 135 and shut it down. The bike had a lot more left in her, but I think I'll throw on a helmet, some leathers and head out to a track before I take it up that high again.

Seems like I like about 75 to 85. I did 110 on the way to Sturgis with some crazy Germans that I work with for about an hour. Yes they rode Harleys too. I got sort of used to it. Scary at first, but anything over 100 on an HD feels like your trying to exit the atmosphere while sitting on a rocket booster. When you get used to riding like that and you get home, your regular riding buddys will hate you. I recomend a long trip every year 2,000 mi or so to keep your skills sharp.

I ride with a tac only so I have no idea how fast I'm going I just know that its what I'm comfortable with, when the bike starts to tell me I'm going to fast I pull it in and let the bike set my speed, you are the best judge of what you are comfortable with and the Johnny's In Blue are the next

You got it buckshot - the right speed is the one that you sit back and get "that special grin" mine is 100 - 120 km (thats aussie for 65 - 75 mph) on my sporty

I try to avoid highways and Interstates. When I end up on one, I run with the traffic, maybe a little above the speed limit and try to stay out of crowded situations. If I have to, I'll run a bit faster to stay out of congestion.

I much prefer backroads running 35-65
I'm with you. If I'm putting along on some country back road taking in the scenery and listening to the pipes "purring". I'm in my zone.
Not to mention some good tunes to keep me in the spirit.

Back