Highway Cruising Speed

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by Drew, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Drew

Drew Active Member

What is your comfortable highway cruising speed?

I've never been a speed/adrenaline junkie (well, I ride an MC, so I guess to some extent I AM an adrenaline junkie... plus, I have bungy jumped out of a helicopter). But in any case, with my new bike I'm finding 70-75mph is nice and comfortable. Had the bike to 85mph, and found that was just outside of my comfort zone.

regards
    Drew

2. STEVE07

STEVE07 Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderators

Everyone has their own comfort zone,some higher ,some lower ,just ride within yours and you will enjoy the ride a little more!:D

3. Dr. Dolittle

Dr. Dolittle Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

I just try to stay about 5 to 10 above the speed limit or whatever speed keeps me from obviously being faster than everyone else and thus attracting the attention of the law. A lot depends on road conditions, the "personality" of surrounding traffic, atmospheric/lighting conditions, etc. For me, I guess there's no simple answer to your question.

4. Davidw2415

Davidw2415 Senior Member

My bike and I seem to feel the most comfortable at 70. Hit 90 once; don't really feel the need to do that again.

5. Vibratinharley

Vibratinharley Junior Member

I agree. 70 feels good. Sometimes a little faster to keep up with traffic.
    I did 100 before but bike felt like it was working to hard and not a comfortable speed. Too dangerous for me.

6. Davidw2415

Davidw2415 Senior Member

A friend told me My bike would easily do 130. My response; "not with me on it."

7. TXMikey

TXMikey Junior Member

I try to keep up with the flow of traffic. Around here, that tends to be about 70 if the posted speed is 60. Outside of town, I tend to cruise around 70-75.

8. Bud White

Bud White Well-Known Member Retired Moderators

70-75 is my normal range been faster 80-85 isnt to bad either but i dont want a ticket

9. 00BUCKSHOT

00BUCKSHOT Junior Member

i am comfortable at just about any speed on an open road.....but i ENJOY the ride at around 50mph thats when i'm grinning like a possum!

10. wildspirit97

wildspirit97 Senior Member

Comfortable speed is a lot more than speed. It all depends on the road, weather, and my mood:D:bigsmiley18::bigsmiley15: I haven't pushed it to see how fast she would go since I put on stage one with the Thundermax tuner but stock 110 mph was all I could get out of the bike riding 2-up. I would never suggest that unless you have a very close "riding" relationship with the person on the back.
    As for GP riding the speed limit or 5-10 mph below is usually pretty comfortable if we're just out and about.