free website stats program Highway Cruising Speed | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Highway Cruising Speed

I try to stay at the Speed Limit in Town maybe 5 MPH over at times, On the Highway I am comfortable at 70-75, I have crept up to 80 and did not realize it, I am out to Cruise not Race.

70 is about as fast as I like to go. Once I get away from the city I might push it a little further. It depends on the situation I guess. Being an ex-street racer I discovered that it wasn't really speed that got my adrenaline going, but acceleration.

I'm with you Krickett... I get more of a rush from acceleration than speed itself. I have a pretty quick car... never taken it over 90mph... but I like seeing how quickly I can get it there... same thing with the scoot!

I'm finding with the RKC, that the thing is powerful as all get-out, and accelerates like nobody's business. Obviously, a big change for me, coming off of an 883 sporty.

but i ENJOY the ride at around 50mph thats when i'm grinning like a possum!

Same here, I love 50-55 mph. Sadly enough it is tough to do 50 mph on the highway, so I tend to keep it 60-65 mph just to keep from getting run over. On the back roads I keep the speeds low, 40-50 and I'm happy. I know myself that I am never in a hurry on my bike.

I like to keep up with the traffic. Also depends on where I am and how busy the traffic is. If I have traveled all day and am in an unfamiliar area and lots of traffic and I am tired sometime I will unconsciously slow down. I don't mind twisting the throttle if I am in a safe zone.

I try to avoid highways and Interstates. When I end up on one, I run with the traffic, maybe a little above the speed limit and try to stay out of crowded situations. If I have to, I'll run a bit faster to stay out of congestion.

I much prefer backroads running 35-65

I just try to stay about 5 to 10 above the speed limit or whatever speed keeps me from obviously being faster than everyone else and thus attracting the attention of the law. A lot depends on road conditions, the "personality" of surrounding traffic, atmospheric/lighting conditions, etc. For me, I guess there's no simple answer to your question.

I am like Doc D. I prefer a little faster than traffic, but not exactly for the same reasons, it keeps my mental skills assertive, to keep my tactical and attentive skills sharp and keep my space separation to surrounding vehicles focused. Yes, it is good to not attract the attention of the law, so lane tactics are also important as well as proper following distance.

Looks like i'm in part of the concensus 70-75 unless that's too slow which is usually the case on the gsp (garden stste parkway).

I like cruising at 70. If I wanted more speed, I'd be a crotch rocket fan...but I prefer just the relaxing feeling of the open highway and the calmness of a controlled speed

Back