free website stats program Here's my Trike build | Page 31 | Harley Davidson Forums

Here's my Trike build

sorry Gang. I went and picked up what I thought was a good deal on an amphibious ATV and has turned into a total rebuild. I will get back to my trike build as soon as Im not so buried with ATV parts in my shop.

sorry Gang. I went and picked up what I thought was a good deal on an amphibious ATV and has turned into a total rebuild. I will get back to my trike build as soon as Im not so buried with ATV parts in my shop.

Well I finally finished building that amphibious vehicle. Phew, glad thats done. Im too old to be hanging over, bent at my lower back. Working in that position just to hook everything up. This type of aatv is called a Hustler. However I renamed it with it's color in mind. It's now known as "The Phat Grumpy"

396309_3027143515049_1156624144_32477705_524919539_n.jpg

419713_3027143235042_1156624144_32477704_2047831370_n.jpg

This vehicle allows me to venture into parts of my land and help maintain paths that are all part of a larger plan in the future for biker bashes here.

I'm now gearing up to add too and modify my trike build and will be once again posting pictures on my progress.

zoood

Zoood, the aatv looks great! It also looks like there aren't many places it can't get to. looking forward to more post on your trike project. Don

Neat looking machine zoood. Has it go on a test drive yet??? :s I noticed the oar has it been tested for floating???:)

Ha-ha--Zoood, I love your "Transworld Urban Assault Vehicle"...puts new meaning to the acronym TUAV! :58:

is there any room to mount a turret and cannon? :D

Ha-ha--Zoood, I love your "Transworld Urban Assault Vehicle"...puts new meaning to the acronym TUAV! :58:

is there any room to mount a turret and cannon? :D

Neat looking machine zoood. Has it go on a test drive yet??? :s I noticed the oar has it been tested for floating???:)

Newhd74fan, another builder of this type of machine already did the tank look. The turret turns and the cannon fires paint balls. I didnt want to go that extreme. This takes me on my wet lands and helps me to cut trails for future events at my place. It works best with the plastic tracks on it. But then there's a draw back. With tracks on and you get in deep water. It cant propel it's self and your at the mercy of the current. Without the tracks on. The tires will provide movement in the water. But with just tires. Your subjected to getting stuck in the mud as soon as the belly of the body hangs-up on the mud. Here's a short vid of the maiden voyage. Video

You guys know I like coming up with new ideas to modify or to improve original ideas. So I'm making a secret project for the aatv. So that when I have the tracks on. The vehicle will be able to swim too. That is the initial plan. The prototype is almost finished and if it works. I will be marketing it as well.

zoood

Ok, I'm back to modifying the Trike. Previously during one of the many phases of this build I was making a matching, pull behind trailer. I even went so far as to shorten the trailer tongue. So that the trailer wasn't so far behind and away from the rear of the trike while pulling it. I even attached an anti-sway bar. This set up worked fine for my trip to Daytona and back. It was after that. That I started having problems. The trailer started giving off a weird short side to side sway that messed with the way the trike handled and if I didn't take notice and slow down. I probably would have wrecked. I had removed the sway bar and lengthened the trailer tongue. This stopped the sway at first. It wasn't till I had more miles on the trailer. That the weird sway started again. Believe me. I couldn't for the likes of me figure out what was doing this. It was safer for me to NOT use the trailer. I had went and removed the torsion springs that were the independent axles for the trailer. I replaced them with a full length axle from a Harbor Freight trailer I purchased. It turns out. That my problem of the weird sway started at this point. I had assumed that the bearings that came off the torsion spring axles would work. It never dawned on me to measure the inside diameter of the wheel bearings. Though they seemed to be the correct fit when I installed them. It was after use that their fit was a little loose. This is also why when I checked the axle nut. That the wheels had a little slop to them. It didn't make sense since I had a cotter pin in there. Now I have the correct bearings. The original HF bearings that came with the trailer on the axle that they were originally fitted for. No more slop. I decided not to use an anti sway bar this time. I have the tongue the correct length. It just looked too far away from the Trike for my likings. So I took the remaining frame that came with the HF trailer and made a carrier to house a fixed tool box. This took up the open length space that I was not happy with.

523161_3390689723477_1156624144_32617882_872665268_n.jpg

562969_3390689243465_1156624144_32617881_1959949772_n.jpg

I plan on painting the Tool Box and brackets gloss black to match everything else. The tool box will also have a lock installed.
When I'm finished with the trailer. I will be doing a lot of other modifications to the trike. So the trike build continues.

zoood

The tool box attachment is finished. This type of trailer has the majority of its weight behind the axle which made the tongue weight too light. With the extended tongue and added tool box. The trailer now trails like it's suppose too. There's no more sway.

523189_3413973185549_1156624144_32626536_1334077214_n.jpg

563077_3413974105572_1156624144_32626537_94069029_n.jpg

To view the Trike Build, click THIS

zoood

Back