free website stats program Have you CRASHED.....yet? | Page 7 | Harley Davidson Forums

Have you CRASHED.....yet?

Many years ago, when I took the safety course, unbeknownst to me, the lead instructor was a neighbor. During the intro session, he made a comment "I have been riding for 25 years and haven't had an accident, and plan to ride another 25 the same way". I made that my goal, figuring if he can do it, I can too. One thing that I know, for sure, a 61 year old body doesn't bounce as well as a 21 year old one. I plan to stay in the saddle and not on the pavement. Ride safe....

Over here, they keep ramming it home in riding school before taking the test:

A good rider anticipates the actions of others.

It sounds really school-ish but I think it's the key to being as safe as you can be on a bike. In the end of the day, a cage is bigger, harder and will always come off better - even if it's the other idiot's fault and you just didn't anticipate him in time :(.

I'm going to buy me one of those HD Crystal Balls that fit on a Chrome setting right there beside the speedo - that should do it :D:D:D.

p.s. dropped it in lessons, never since - and it was a 500cc crotch rocket so it didn't feel as bad as dropping my HD would :D

I have done both the drop and crash routine. Some my fault, some just being in the wrong place at the wrong time. In the early day (mid 60's) my brother and I had this thing about trying to jump over everything. We even tried to jump the pond in the back pasture once. The bike is still in the bottom of the pond.

Like a lot of people have said on this thread...as I get older and wiser. I try and be mindful of the situation and surrounding and hopefully not have to deal with the bumps of the road.

Been riding since 1973, lots of close calls but I took a training course before I started riding. I think I'll ride out my time without a crash, thanks anyway.

I laid down my bike during my motorcycle class. I was stopped waiting for instructions and must have leaned...she just started going down and I couldn't hold her up.

Last summer, I attempted to back out of a parking spot at a local dealer. I cut my bars too hard and down she went. I managed to hold the bike up until a sales guy ran over and helped me right it. Not a scratch on her!

Thankfully I have not crashed. If only other drivers would pay more attention to us.....

I described my one accident earlier. However, my riding partner for the past 3 years had an accident that taught him a lesson real fast. He was riding down Pacific Coast Highway near Huntington Beach when a car turned in front of him. He had to lay the bike down and he was wearing just a helmet, shorts, and flip-flops. He fortunately didn't hit the car but he slid for quite a distance and he still has the scars on his arms, legs, ankles and torso 40 years later. He has been an All The Gear All The Time guy since then. I follow his example.

My last crash was about a year ago. I was going home after work and hit a piece of steel in the rode which peeled my back tire like an apple. Fornutely I was able to lay it down in the grass on the side of the rode but my left forearm got ate up a bit as I slid. Aperson following me was able to show me the piece of steel plate and I was very glad to escape with only a rashed up arm.

My last crash was about a year ago. I was going home after work and hit a piece of steel in the rode which peeled my back tire like an apple. Fornutely I was able to lay it down in the grass on the side of the rode but my left forearm got ate up a bit as I slid. Aperson following me was able to show me the piece of steel plate and I was very glad to escape with only a rashed up arm.

I really hope it was your last crash - ride safe.

Not counting dirt bikes,I have had 2 altercations with the asphalt.The first was after I bought my first real bike a chopped 750 honda.This was while I was stationed in Hawaii.A 4 wheeler cut across from a side street and I center punched him and went flying over the car.I woke up in the Navel hospital at Pearl and luckily I had landed pretty much with only some minor road rash but the 750 was history.I spent the insurance money on a 78 superglide and it's been all Harley ever since.The 2nd time I was drunk and trying to impress some girls at a apartment complex and I did the old stand up on the seat trick. Well I did it for a couple of yards anyway till I veered into a recessed rain runoff and that was all she wrote.Ended up with a broke collarbone for my efforts.Oh ya ,I didn't get either of the girls.

I have flipped my KTM 250 Dirt bike and the only time I dropped my 07 Electra Glide was when I walked away from it thinking the kickstand was fully engaged Thank G-d had a few close calls but never crashed

Ride Safe
BuffaloBILL

Back