free website stats program Have you CRASHED.....yet? | Page 8 | Harley Davidson Forums

Have you CRASHED.....yet?

I was realy into dirtbikes as a teen and had many spills. I uesed to get pretty crazy on them. On the road my brother dropped me when I was riding on the back and I picked rocks outa my skin for months. He has no fear. I never rode with him again. He still rides and im surprised not dead yet. Maybe I'm jinxing myself, but I have not laid a bike down on the road yet. I've had some close calls. Some were my stupidity and some were others.

1st time-last year. The gear I had strapped to the back slid off. I freaked. Hit the front brake on gravel. My fault.
2nd time-not 3 weeks after #1. Riding home the morning after a rally. Not paying attention. Tried to go straight on a curve. My fault again. I was able to keep it upright and thanks to a well built skid plate, no damage was done to the bike.
Prior to that, I had never had so much as a close call.
So much for learning with age.

I have had a few close calls and been riding in groups where others with us have had crashes.most have been with people turning left in fron of you.

Yup, I just had my first major crash June 12. Stayed up late to watch Ghost Rider and just had to go for a ride at 02h30. I figured I'd be out on the empty highway for half an hours, but I was gone an hour and a half. Coming back, I was fatigued, took the exit and merged too soon. I hit the median curb at 50mph. My Crossbones was fixed in record time -- two weeks -- but I'm taking a little longer. Nothing broken but a lot of damaged muscle and bruised pride. I was really lucky.

The lesson: Don't go riding when you're over-tired. **** happens fast.

Two years ago (August 2007), I crashed my Heritage when I collided with a deer that ran out in front of me on a highway in Michigan. I guess I was pretty lucky... only 6 hours in the hospital, and a sore back for the next 6 months. The bike and the deer were not so lucky.

Having been riding motorcycles since 1976 Ive had close contact with the tarmac on several occasions
1st time in 76 (due to inexperience) was 6 months before i could walk unaided and 10 months before pronounced fit
had tyre blow out, slid on ice, and on diesel 3 times, hut a snow drift once
but since i started to drive a car in 83 have managed to stay upright on the bike mainly cos i use the car in bad weather

Brian

I hate seeing this thread pop up as new...it creeps me out like the site is asking...Have you crashed yet...it's so Twilight Zone-ish - ok, where's Rod Serling!?

trying to make it home before dark one night. Didn't make it, cut across on a slightly graveled road. Had recently rained and someone decided to go down it when it was wet and did they leave ruts in it. Hit those ruts about 30 mph. I was laying on my belly looking at my bike about 25 feet in front of me. A bruise on my belly and a little sore, scratch on tank I was able to buff out, broken brake lever, scratched mufflers I now call battle scars. Twice had rear tire locked up trying to avoid deer crossing in front of me. Missed the rear leg on one of them by about 4 to 6 inches with front tire. Maybe my pipes aren't loud enough.

Yep, someone pulled out in front of me, he stopped when he saw me coming blocking lane. swerved around him and hiy my shoulder on his rear corner of F150 truck. Put dent in his truck and the State (edited) took 3 weeks to sight the guy. Could not belive I rode the bike to a stop without damaging the bike. By the way was on buddies bike.

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Other than slow speed drops during traing and practice I haven't had any for years.In the late 60's and early 70's when I rode mostly British bikes and had to go down the road on the back wheel at 90mph I had a couple. When I was young I had the motorcycles mastered, and when your that cool and good you get hurt and humbled or worse.One was a gas and oil spill at an intersection. Slam dunked me. Just sore. Then at about 100 mph failed to negotiate a turn, lucky I ran off the road into a hay field and probably slowed to about 40 or less before the back end came out from under me. I fell on top of the bike and rode for a few feet until it caught a peg or something and high sided me off. And no I didn't have anything to do with riding on the side of it, I just fell that way and I was on my back and getting toasted from the pipe. I then landed on my back and slid for a few feet. I was very lucky a minor burn on my leg and thigh and some serious grass stain, not to mention other stains and a few bruises and bumps.
I try to be very aware of my surroundings and like a pilot I am always looking for the way out if a situation occurs. Other vehicles and deer and road debri are my biggest fears. By God's Grace I have always walked, well maybe limped away from my mishaps.

Back