free website stats program Harley Problems | Page 18 | Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Problems

Harley problems

• Total voters
hi guys sorry to be a newbie pest but this is my first Harley ever - went from a Goldwing (dont judge lol) my problem is the vibration - the bike and the dash shake pretty good at idle but that is ok especially if i bump the rpm up - it is when I am cruising at 80-100 there is a constant vibration through the seat and foot boards and handle bars that make my whole body itch for minutes after i get off very unsettling when on a long ride - and when i gear down to a stop the shaking is almost unbearable.
So here is what i di on the weekend.- i changed the front engine mount i also put a tie down strap around the engine rear cylinder and tied it off to the front roll/crash bar - when the mount was out and engine free standing i tightened the strap some and pulled the motor forward from the rear mount maybe 1/8" or so - then put all the bolts in the mount snugged them up and then started her up let it settle at 1500/2000 rpm and at idle for about 2-3 minutes or so - then i tightened up the front mount and started her up when all done... WELLLLLL maybe slight improvement.but not what i was hoping for the gearing down is some what better idle slightly better not much improvement at cruising - i am at a loss - i am now thinking maybe an engine miss - if it was a four cylinder bike i would say that a cyliner is missfiring or not working that is how uncomfortable it feels

First thing I'd do is remove the strap you made and installed, you don't need it and it may cause you other problems. All you need are the mounts that the bike came with.

Have you checked the rear mount? Have you checked for any codes to see if you have something else going on?
You will get engine shake at idle but will smooth out with RPM"s.

Have you given any thought to the tires need to be balanced? Check the rubber mounts on your exhaust, could cause vibration that you could feel through out the bike.

Last edited:
the strap was just for forward adjustment temporary only while installing the new front mount - it has been removed - I have only had the bike for 4 weeks - the front tire was replaced at the dealer before I got it but that is a good thought - wheel balance - something for me to try - i will check out your other suggestions -. I bumped into a gentleman at lunch today down town he had a 2012 Ultra it had an additional engine stabilizer added to the top front cylinder and mounted to the frame has anyone seen this on 2003? might be a good idea to add? will keep you all posted - thanks again for listening and the great suggestions.

bumped into a gentleman at lunch today down town he had a 2012 Ultra it had an additional engine stabilizer added to the top front cylinder and mounted to the frame has anyone seen this on 2003?

I don't know about the 03 models but I have it on my 05 Ultra.

But have we checked for broken fairing brackets which is notorious on the older bikes..........

another good suggestion I will look for sure - one additional inquiry - Jeff mentioned wheel balance - I can honestly say I have never considered that as an issue maybe because of two wheels in stead of four - has anyone experienced a bad wheel balance maybe not balance properly after tire install? or weights simply fall off?

If you're not sure both have been balanced properly I would recommend it, wheel weights have been known to fall off.
I'm not saying this is your problem but it would be on my check list if I was having the sake/vibration issue you described

This may be a process of elimination chasing down what it might be. .

If they use tape weights and the wheel is not cleaned they can and will fall off,
Have a look here, this is how we did em

Back