Harley Problems

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by glider., Dec 18, 2011.

?

Harley problems

1. Really no problems worth mentioning.

52.7%
  2. Small problem that the dealer or I fixed myself.

29.2%
  3. More than I thought I should have.

13.6%
  4. Nothing but a constant headache for me.

3.3%
  5. Sold/traded the bike because I couldn't take it anymore.

1.3%
  1. glider.

glider. BOT Machine

I was wondering how many members here have bought a Harley and had no significant problems with it over the years.

I'm not talking a loose bolt or something but more like a problem that they had to return to the dealer with to have a warranty fix done.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  2. Redfish-Joe

Redfish-Joe Senior Member

My 2000 RK total top end @ 67k
    My 08 RG in the shop monthly after 27k for tranny / primary leaks. Traded @ 51k
    2011 RG. Absolutely no problems so far @ 23k :D

3. HDDon

HDDon Experienced Member Contributor Retired Moderators

My '94FLSTC has been almost trouble free, second stator and alternator. Motor went to reman. program after 150,000mi +. '05FLTRI had a small trans seal leak and was out of warranty, dealer took care of it anyway.

4. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

92 FLHS and 97 FLHT Stators went out around 50,000 miles, starter ring gear on 07 Street bob lunched @ 2000 miles, Dealer installed complete Clutch hub assembly with new clutch pack under warranty:s

5. oldhippie

oldhippie Senior Member

The only nuisance problem I've had was with the throttle-by-wire. In the heat, the throttle would slip back to idle. Slight adjustment to the grip and all's well.

The day I was to take ownership of my bike, the oil pressure gauge wasn't working. Wire harness had been installed backwards from factory. Frustrated me that the mechanic hadn't caught that on the pre-delivery inspection. Service Manager gave him the gears for not catching that.

6. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

Under warrty had speedo replaced for water staining. Out of warrty by 6 months and MOCO covered complete cost of replacing both fairing brackets which broke within a month.

7. turnerbend

turnerbend Active Member

07 Ultra wiith 8200 miles no major problems. Only nagging Problem was when I let local indy change out all fluids. Start leaking fluid from primary. Overfilled.
    Drained oil and replaced myself. No more leaks.

8. rhino 2

rhino 2 Active Member

I have only 33 hundred miles on my TG, So far no problems.

9. TXMikey

TXMikey Junior Member

I had the fuel filter housing on my '08 Street Glide crack. That was fixed under warranty which was later a part of a larger recall.

My wife's '11 Heritage had a recall on the body control module that had to be addressed, and the dealer forgot to reactivate the alarm system, which required another trip to the shop.

Other than that, I've only had to do routine maintenance in 23K miles for the '08, and 4800 miles on the '11.

10. CPT MAR

CPT MAR Member

My fxdc 10000 miles so far trouble free.:)