free website stats program Harley Problems | Page 17 | Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Problems

Harley problems

• Total voters
HI guys I just bought my first Harley ever - 03 Ultra Classic (traded in a 1999 Honda Goldwing). I know it is a Harley and really like the bike but I am having a hard time with the bad vibration. Bad at idle / and going up and down through all the gears - the bike just never seems to smooth out especially while cruising when you need the comfort the most. My whole body tingles after a ride. I am wondering if there is any recommendations/suggestions on how this can be rectified. I have checked mounts and they seem to be in good condition. This is something I really need to rectify we are planning a long road trip soon and there is no way I could handle the distance on this cruiser in this condition. either you will tell me that I am a wuss and suck it up or that I just might have a legit concern. Thanks Jim

I would almost bet that it is the front motor mount. There have been at least one upgrade on that mount from the MOCO. Check when the motor is at idle to see if any part of the motor is touching the frame. Check the top mount and before your trip I would probably check the rubber isolators in the swing arm. But my money is on the front mount.

I've been getting some blow-by in this past last year, that's starting to get more and more significant now. And, it's starting to worry me. I've put in roughly over $5K in the past year in fixes, new stator, and primary gaskets. Also had to have the oil pump, cam chain tensioners, and push rods replaced this past February. I still ride her 85 miles a day to work and back. And honestly, I wouldn't be afraid to load up on her and ride across the country today. Now, she's got 73,400 + miles on her, and still chuggin'. She's been a good one, and my wife and I both want to keep her. I'm preparing for a major overhaul, perhaps. I really wanted to top 100K miles before I had to go there, though. Hmmmm.... :-/

All the repairs you referenced can be chalked up to "stuff happens"; $5K over 11 years of ownership and 73.4K miles is not unreasonable. When you had the cam chain tensioners replaced, you most likely did not need to replace the oil pump and/or the pushrods. You could have cut that cost by more than half had you done the repairs yourself, all of which most anyone can do with the service manual, patience and basic hand tools.

Kudos for wanting to keep the '05; I don't see my ever letting my '02 FLHT go. However, a couple of things you should know. 2005 was the first year for beehive valve springs that would accommodate cams with lifts up to .575. Actually .600" is possible but one would have to mock up and check for coil bind to be certain; .575" is a no brainer. Also the first year for 7mm valves. However, a terrible year for new valve guide seals for the 7mm valves and many were replaced under warranty that year. Although it sounds like guide seals were not a problem in your case, it is time for a compression and leak down test. Don't believe that all Harleys have blowby issues; not so.

Sounds like it's time to go to 95", have the heads cleaned up, maybe even a "street" port job and a mile bolt in cam. Is the bike carbed or EFI? You will be amazed at the difference and will be glad you made the decision to invest in the old girl rather than kick her to the curb for a later model and the upgrade cost will be much cheaper.

When installing new front mount if needed be sure to install properly for you may go from bad to worse.
Also check for exhaust to be contacting frame any where on bike. Also be sure to make sure that your fairing brackets are not broke which is where I would start first.

I would almost bet that it is the front motor mount. There have been at least one upgrade on that mount from the MOCO. Check when the motor is at idle to see if any part of the motor is touching the frame. Check the top mount and before your trip I would probably check the rubber isolators in the swing arm. But my money is on the front mount.

Thanks for your input Don I have already ordered a Drag Specialties Isolator front mount hopefully should reduce the vibration. I will keep you posted once I have installed.

HI guys I just bought my first Harley ever - 03 Ultra Classic (traded in a 1999 Honda Goldwing). I know it is a Harley and really like the bike but I am having a hard time with the bad vibration. Bad at idle / and going up and down through all the gears - the bike just never seems to smooth out especially while cruising when you need the comfort the most. My whole body tingles after a ride. I am wondering if there is any recommendations/suggestions on how this can be rectified. I have checked mounts and they seem to be in good condition. This is something I really need to rectify we are planning a long road trip soon and there is no way I could handle the distance on this cruiser in this condition. either you will tell me that I am a wuss and suck it up or that I just might have a legit concern. Thanks Jim

How many miles on the bike? I agree with HDDon; check that front motor mount. You cannot tell just by looking; the rubber part of the mount could be separated from the steel, or could be split and unless you have a trained eye, you cannot tell by a visual inspection. That mount will deteriorate over time as it is exposed to oil from filter changes, road grime, etc. and even if still intact the mount will not perform as it would when new or the attachment bolt could just be loose.

If it were me, I would replace the front motor mount with a Glide Pro piece. I went through several OEM motor mounts on my '02 FLHT and find the Glide Pro to be the best performing. Of course the rubber mounted motor in the touring models will always want to shake a bit at idle but that shake is minimized with the Glide Pro unit, there is no "break in" time and it's as smooth as can be once rpms are up and at cruise. Check it out. A DIY install, if you need help installing, plenty of help on this forum and Jake has an install video on his website.

Replace the front first and see how she goes before looking elsewhere.

http://glide-pro.com/shop/front-motor-mount/glide-pro-front-motor-mount-1980-2008/

great advise - thanks I will be removing the mount as I have on order Drag Specialties front mount will see how it goes.

Just to add to HDDon's post, at ideal you'll get the famous Harley engine shake, give it a little throttle and if the mounts are good she should smooth out with very little to no engine vibration.

great advise - thanks I will be removing the mount as I have on order Drag Specialties front mount will see how it goes.

That's a start and should answer your question on what is causing the vibration but the Glide Pro is a better unit; file that away for future reference.................;)

Back