free website stats program Harley Problems | Page 19 | Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Problems

Harley problems

• Total voters
another good suggestion I will look for sure - one additional inquiry - Jeff mentioned wheel balance - I can honestly say I have never considered that as an issue maybe because of two wheels in stead of four - has anyone experienced a bad wheel balance maybe not balance properly after tire install? or weights simply fall off?
I have had tape on weights fall off and never noticed a vibration. But I will say that as long as your wheels are not bent they usually do not take much weight anyways, and when using a good quality tire with tire mounted properly there probably would be no vibration.

HD03FLHR007.gif

# 14 is your upper lateral link, check the heim joints for damage

Hay Jack great video explaining process. Bet this guy is not flat rate though........;)
Most shops today are not flat rate, that is why you see so many job hoppers. I got tired of interviewing new guys real quick hAAAAAAA

I have had tape on weights fall off and never noticed a vibration. But I will say that as long as your wheels are not bent they usually do not take much weight anyways, and when using a good quality tire with tire mounted properly there probably would be no vibration.

Answer by Gerald Clay
CONFIDENCE VOTES 75.7K
60+ years experience in auto repair. Built and raced a car for 2 years on the drag racing circuit.
You balance your tires because sometimes the rim or rubber is too thick and it'll cause a wobble in your tire and steering. So when you take them to the dealer they add weights to balance them out. You don't absolutely have to do this but it sure does help alot An unbalanced tire will cause a vibration in the suspension. You can feel this in the steering wheel. This imbalance will cause suspension and steering components to wear prematurely. Plus it will cause the tire to wear in an uneven pattern. Keeping your tires balanced is very important.

JimnCindy said:
I bumped into a gentleman at lunch today down town he had a 2012 Ultra it had an additional engine stabilizer added to the top front cylinder and mounted to the frame has anyone seen this on 2003? might be a good idea to add? will keep you all posted - thanks again for listening and the great suggestions.

In 2009 a four point motor mount system was introduced with the new frame configuration. The motor mount system in the later models is completely different from the pre '09 models.

There are many reasons/sources of vibration and, sometimes, the source is not easily discovered. However there are a couple of basic things to find out in the trouble shooting process. One of which is whether or not the vibration is the same when the bike is stationary as compared to when in gear and in motion. This, for instance would eliminate a bad wheel bearing or steering head bearing as the source if the vibration occurs when riding but not when stationary.

You did not mention or perhaps I missed, how many miles on the motorcycle. I assume that the bike is a touring model although not clearly stated in your posts. Have you peeked inside the cam chest to check the condition of the cam chain tensioners? If not, I would include that in my "to do" list.

The usual suspects such as broken fairing brackets, loose exhaust, worn front or rear motor mounts, loose primary chain, etc. In your case, since you have changed front motor mounts but did notice some slight improvement, you will need to give the new front mount about 500 miles or so to break in. As I mentioned in a previous post, the Glide Pro front mount is the only mount that I am aware of that does not need a break in period. Whatever you do, don't adjust the front or top linkages between the mount and motor. Those linkages, unless the Heim joints are completely shot, are there or drive train alignment and have nothing to do with vibration isolation.

Continue looking for sources of the vibration but roll up some miles and see if the vibration diminishes with miles. Did you follow the instructions for the torque to be applied to the front mount? Very important. Keep a close eye on when the vibration comes on, i.e., does it come and go at a certain rpm range? Does it occur both when the rpms are increasing as well as decreasing? Is there any noise associated with the vibration?

There are several internal sources of vibration but no need to go there yet.

I started noticing a high speed wobble coming back at the end of last riding season. My front motor mount was fine. My rear motor mounts and the sta-bo bushings I had installed a couple years back were fine. I thought maybe my back tire was getting hard from age and causing the problem. In the end, the problem was that I had lost my top engine stabilizer bolt somewhere on the road.

It's sometimes the things you don't expect that cause an issue. Make sure to check even the things you don't suspect could cause the vibration.

hi guys YOU WILL LIKE THIS just an update - as i think i mentioned the vibration is bad at cruising speed just where you DONT want it to be - I replaced the front mount with a Drag Specialties mount maybe helped the idle shake a little but that was it - I got the bike up to 100kl pulled in the clutch shut down the engine and coasted for a bit and smooth as a baby's bum bum so not the wheels or tires - hey guys listen please realize I am not an expert on bikes especially the Harley but I can say without blowing my own horn that I am a good mechanic a car mechanic by trade since age 12 a 100 years ago also raced cars for 25 years I may not know bikes very well but I know mechanics I know when something mechanical is not right as would be for many if not all of you guys here helping and listening to my story - so anyway long boring story short I took it to a well respected well established veteran Harley Davidson mechanic and he did not even ride it an noticed how bad the vibration was just at idle and revving up even worse at 1200 - 1500 rpm very excessive he said. So he took it for a spin 15 mins came back said it was one of the worst he has ridden - did a few basic checks and concluded that the most likely cause was that the flywheel has shifted seen it many times. makes sense and I believe that that is the starting point - well I called the dealer I bought it from and they are going to take the bike bag and I am going to trade up - get me a 2007. Stay tuned...thanks guys

I guess I've never heard of a flywheel shifting but if your mechanic thinks that's the issue so be it.
That's good news your dealer is taking the bike back, good luck with the 07.

Back