Votes: 241 20.5%
  • Lower Grade Only (89)

Votes: 34 2.9%
  • Low Grade Only (87)

Votes: 28 2.4%
  • Doesn't Matter To Me

Votes: 11 0.9%

• Total voters
The hightest that perticular station has....
I love my bike and want it to love me back :newsmile092:

for a period of time after Ike I couldn't get anything but 87 and the bike didn't seem to care, ran fine, not hotter or cooler that I could notice. But the mpg dropped from mid 40's to mid 30's. I haven't bothered to do the math, maybe cheaper overall to use the cheaper gas??

Anyhow, I use the highest octane I can get.

I have only used Shell Hi test until the shortage here in TN. I ran a tank from Kroger which was the only place that had anything other than regular. It didn't seem to make a difference, but I will go back to Shell. I like the idea of using one brand in my bike and like the additive pkg in Shell. Probably makes no difference.

What would be the difference in running 93, 97, or here in Detroit where the AutoShow and Woodward cruise are, some stations sell 100 and over octane for racing. Would this high octane active better hp? Or are you wasting your money.

Wasting money is more like it. Using higher than needed octane really doesn't do anything but empty your wallet and can actually hurt more than help.

Here in Oregon, premium runs 92, that's what I run. I tend to use what brand is available. Some of the older Chevron stations use the single hose without that crappy anti-syphon attachment. The local Chevron has the attachment and tends to sputter fuel! Ticked me off splattering fuel on my tank! :bigsmiley19:

Oregon has a no self serve policy. All attendants hand bikers the hose anyway, I ask for a paper towel as well (to catch the drips from one tank to the other). I always point the hose to the ground when they hand it to me. I've had residual gas drip out onto the paint when moving the hose to the tank.

My '93 FLSTC is bored 20 over, andrews cam and high compression pistons. I bought it this way from a good friend of mine. I haven't got the exact specs but understand the higher compression requires higher octane. So far, so good. He said run premium so I do.

I run 93 only since I can't find 91 around here. Mid-grade is 89 and I'm not about to try an "octane boost cocktail" just to make it 91. Tracy

Back