free website stats program Good Indy Shops in your area | Page 8 | Harley Davidson Forums

Good Indy Shops in your area

Didn't see any response from Louisiana. Anyone have good or bad experiences with dealers in Louisiana?

Bill

Didn't see any response from Louisiana. Anyone have good or bad experiences with dealers in Louisiana?

Bill

Wow, I can't say enough about Mike Bruno's Northshore Harley Davidson in Slidell, LA.

On my way back from Key West in Nov. 2009 the linkage on the gear shift broke (ball joint popped out). I never would have figured that as a weak point. I was cruising over the causeway in second gear coming into Mobile, AL, just before the tunnel, in heavy traffic. All of a sudden my shifter was flopping around. I had to feather my throttle and clutch to get through the tunnel and off at the next exit.

Luckily I had an emergency kit with tools, tie-wraps, duct tape and bailing wire (etc.). I took my vice grips and did the best I could.

vicegrips-1.jpg

The picture doesn't show the final results, I had to duct tape the vice grips so they wouldn't open and attach tie-wraps to the frame in the event the temporary assembly came loose. It was 4:00 on a Sunday evening and we were trying to make Lake Charles. I wasn't about to sit in Mobile AL all night and take my chances in the morning, so I called a fellow HDTimeline member Redfish-Joe, who lives in Slidell, LA (who gave me his number in case I needed it). He told me if I could make it to Slidell, there was a great dealership there and they would take care of me.

It broke my heart to ride my baby wounded, but you do what you have to do! I limped to Slidell (about 1-1/2 hour away), shifting was terrible. I wasn't sure where Northshore HD was, but I saw a Best Western hotel and pulled in. When I got off my bike I looked over and saw the dealership right across the street (my guardian angel was working overtime).

They opened at 9:00 in the morning. We turned on the TV that night and heard that Hurricane Ida was bearing down on us and was going to make landfall on the LA, AL border that next morning. Needless to say, my brother and I were anxious to get on the road.

I was lurking around the dealer at 8:00 a.m. and the sky was ominous, adding to the anxiety. They finally opened the service bay door at 9:00 and immediately realized I was broken down on the road. Steve Hotard, the service underwriter treated me like a king and took my bike right in. He got his mechanic Kris "Cornbread" Brown to work. Cornbread replaced the shift linkage, plus replaced my to shifter shaft (that was showing signs of wear). Within 1/2 hour they were done and rung me up. They only charged me for 1/2 hour labor and gave me the parts at cost. This only slightly conveys how hospitable every person who was working in the dealership was that day.

When I got home I followed up with a letter to Mike Bruno thanking him and his employees. I promised to come back and buy my next bike from him, and I will! My brother and I dodged the rain all the way to Layfayette and made it home safe and sound. Ironically for those who read our exploits on another string, we were battered by a severe tropical storm in Lake Charles on our way to Key West 10 days earlier.

If you are in the Fayetteville NC area, check out Rambo's Cycle House . I broke down on I 95 with my shovel. I called them and they sent a trailer to bring me in. Didn't even charge for the towing. I needed a new ignition. While there I had a top end overhaul done. They treated me well. They had just opened up two weeks ago taken over from the previous owner. The weather was really bad so I was in and out of the shop in 2 days. Would have been one day but I had to have 2 valves and 2 guides replaced and had to wait for the parts.

Wow, I can't say enough about Mike Bruno's Northshore Harley Davidson in Slidell, LA.

On my way back from Key West in Nov. 2009 the linkage on the gear shift broke (ball joint popped out). I never would have figured that as a weak point. I was cruising over the causeway in second gear coming into Mobile, AL, just before the tunnel, in heavy traffic. All of a sudden my shifter was flopping around. I had to feather my throttle and clutch to get through the tunnel and off at the next exit.

Luckily I had an emergency kit with tools, tie-wraps, duct tape and bailing wire (etc.). I took my vice grips and did the best I could.

vicegrips-1.jpg

The picture doesn't show the final results, I had to duct tape the vice grips so they wouldn't open and attach tie-wraps to the frame in the event the temporary assembly came loose. It was 4:00 on a Sunday evening and we were trying to make Lake Charles. I wasn't about to sit in Mobile AL all night and take my chances in the morning, so I called a fellow HDTimeline member Redfish-Joe, who lives in Slidell, LA (who gave me his number in case I needed it). He told me if I could make it to Slidell, there was a great dealership there and they would take care of me.

It broke my heart to ride my baby wounded, but you do what you have to do! I limped to Slidell (about 1-1/2 hour away), shifting was terrible. I wasn't sure where Northshore HD was, but I saw a Best Western hotel and pulled in. When I got off my bike I looked over and saw the dealership right across the street (my guardian angel was working overtime).

They opened at 9:00 in the morning. We turned on the TV that night and heard that Hurricane Ida was bearing down on us and was going to make landfall on the LA, AL border that next morning. Needless to say, my brother and I were anxious to get on the road.

I was lurking around the dealer at 8:00 a.m. and the sky was ominous, adding to the anxiety. They finally opened the service bay door at 9:00 and immediately realized I was broken down on the road. Steve Hotard, the service underwriter treated me like a king and took my bike right in. He got his mechanic Kris "Cornbread" Brown to work. Cornbread replaced the shift linkage, plus replaced my to shifter shaft (that was showing signs of wear). Within 1/2 hour they were done and rung me up. They only charged me for 1/2 hour labor and gave me the parts at cost. This only slightly conveys how hospitable every person who was working in the dealership was that day.

When I got home I followed up with a letter to Mike Bruno thanking him and his employees. I promised to come back and buy my next bike from him, and I will! My brother and I dodged the rain all the way to Layfayette and made it home safe and sound. Ironically for those who read our exploits on another string, we were battered by a severe tropical storm in Lake Charles on our way to Key West 10 days earlier.
GasGauge - now I am very happy to hear that - unsolicited report. I actually bought my bike from those guys and I felt they would be good to work with. Now I have no doubts - thanks again for those words of encouragement.

Bill

If your ever in northeast Arkansas stop by Farly's custom bikes 1809 E. Parker Rd. Jonesboro, Arkansas. Jerry farly well treat you right. I buy all my parts there, Only people i let touch my bike and a good place to just hang around and shoot the bull.

In the Phoenix, AZ area it is Buddy Stubbs H-D!
13850 N Cave Creek Road
Phoenix, AZ 85022

Every employee I've met is a class act. The techs are very knowledgable, great attention to detail and attitudes that reflect they care. And, the parts department is the same.

Buddy has raced, repaired, traded and sold Hogs since the early 60's.
He also has an on-site museum. A great collection of scoots he has acquired over the years.

In my travels there are few businesses, of any type, that have made such a good impression!

Where I live in SE Michigan, it's Classic Cycle on Dixie Highway in Waterford if your riding anything custom or modified. These guys are careful, knowledgeable and pleasant to deal with.
Ken

My Garage
1559 Palma Drive
Ventura, CA 93003-5713
(805) 339-9448

Great independent Harley repair, parts and service in the Ventura, CA area.:)

Back