free website stats program Fuse keeps blowing | Page 7 | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuse keeps blowing

Hey Glider,
got it apart, detached the harness for the switch.
took the switch, out, and took that apart by removing the snap ring, found alot of grease where the contacts are. it seems to wiggle more in the ignition position rather the accessories.
i noticed where the harness connects a little green, but not a lot.
where the teeth are for the nobs to lock into are for when you turn the switch, seem worn.
what do you think

Attachments

• IMG_0466.jpg
    IMG_0466.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0467.jpg
    IMG_0467.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0468.jpg
    IMG_0468.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0469.jpg
    IMG_0469.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 27
A bit of corrosion there on the center terminal but not excessive, some wear on the terminals on the second pic too, still should be cleaned. What you should try at this point is to jump the switch to eliminate it from the circuit and try the bike then. You should be able to make a jumper with two spade clips and get out your manual to verify the proper terminals for ignition. I don't have a manual for that bike or I would tell you the colors.
Connect the terminals and if you need to jump the solenoid to get it running. It's worth a shot to see if it stalls with one part out of the equation.

A bit of corrosion there on the center terminal but not excessive, some wear on the terminals on the second pic too, still should be cleaned. What you should try at this point is to jump the switch to eliminate it from the circuit and try the bike then. You should be able to make a jumper with two spade clips and get out your manual to verify the proper terminals for ignition. I don't have a manual for that bike or I would tell you the colors.
Connect the terminals and if you need to jump the solenoid to get it running. It's worth a shot to see if it stalls with one part out of the equation.

can you do that and still ride, since that is when it happened?
if you noticed on the 3rd pic, you can see the teeth that are worn don, they look light green in color, and should be black.
I am hoping you got me on the right track.
I was going to stop by the dealer to see if i can get new part for the ignition switch.
hopefully they carry them.
What do you think of all the grease? should that amount be in there on the contacts themselves?

Those pictures do show excessive grease in the contact areas, and the detents look worn as well.

May want to get a new switch, but it is longer down time...so clean it up using electronic tuner/control cleaner, use a pencil eraser to polish contacts shiny, put just a bit of dielectric grease in the detent area. Put it all back together, but you can use a jumper if you figure out the contact combo engaged while in the run mode as Glider suggested, and see if your intermittant is gone. Remove the jumper and try again and see if intermittant returns. If not, you found your bad switch contact, but know you will need to replace that switch sometime in the future, so best to order it now, rather than take a chance on dangerous situation.

Does that make sense?...find the intermittant first using visual inspection (which you already are doing)...and then functional testing to confirm. Using two methods to draw down to the conclusion is better than assuming one or the other and going blindly foward...(not that none of us have EVER done that...LOL)!

Last edited:
can you do that and still ride, since that is when it happened?
if you noticed on the 3rd pic, you can see the teeth that are worn don, they look light green in color, and should be black.
I am hoping you got me on the right track.
I was going to stop by the dealer to see if i can get new part for the ignition switch.
hopefully they carry them.
What do you think of all the grease? should that amount be in there on the contacts themselves?

Not necessary to overload the switch with grease. More than likely someone thought they were doing good possibly with a problem in the past and loaded it up.

You can ride with the jumper as long as you take measures to insure the wire jumper doesn't ground out like taping it to the tank after wrapping in a rag just for a test ride.

well i did as you guys said, i got some connectors, and tried to jump the switch, however when i jumped for the ignition, the tripometer was not on.
But, i took the switch apart agin, and cleaned all the grease out, and there was a lot of grime on the contacts. So i did the pencil erase trick, and cleaned it up as best i could, and i sstetched the spring a little.
since i had the console back on, i just plugged the switch back in.
Started her up, and went about 10 miles, and no problems.:bigsmiley8:
So it looks like Glider figured it out for me, Thank You.:worthy
So now i am going to order a new switch, for the bike.
Thanks to this site and all its knowledge, and saving me money and down time at the dealer

Glad that did the trick, hopefully that's the end of the problem.:D

Another dealer with his hand in his OWN pocket! :D

Glad that did the trick, hopefully that's the end of the problem.:D

Another dealer with his hand in his OWN pocket! :D

I do to Glider,
I am still hesitant since i only went about 10 miles, but when it first happened we were only 5 mile into our ride, then when i went again the other day it happened at 1.7 miles, so hopefully that was the problem, when i went today, i made sure to go at all speeds, up hills, hard turns, and it stayed running, and no problems. I really think it was the grime and the contacts were not touching enough.

Hopefully my pain, and trouble shooting, helps somebody else on the forum.

Thank you for the good news and followup. I would say you very likely found the problem...so get yourself a cold frothy one and enjoy...you earned it and saved money to boot. :cheers

Back