free website stats program Fuse keeps blowing | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuse keeps blowing

...and the service guy said it could be a speed sensor. I asked him if that would make the bikes shut off, losing electrical power, and he said yes.
Anybody agree with their theory of the speed sensor?

NO,not me, it would run poorly and cut out but NOT loose all electrical power.

Why didn't he ask if the speedo was working or the directional signals canceling?

If they do replace the speed sensor ask for the old one back and send it to me. It would be great to have a good used sensor on hand as a spare.:p:p

But they cant get to it till the end of the month, or first week of Aug.

How can any business be that backed up with work with an economy the way it is. That must be 1 heck of a dealership for people to drive and wait that long for service. I wish I had a gig like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
My 2004 Ultra has a Maxi-fuse.

Sprinkler, have you checked all the grounds (including the one for the voltage regulator)?

When my electrics were going crazy, it was due to loose battery connections.

Then Sprinkler must be a Maxi. That kills my theory.

I wonder what the break point for HD was as far as CB's vs Maxi fuse was. It must have been in the late 90's or early 2000's..(?)

I also wonder if it was a clean transition meaning a bike could not have a combination of a Maxi fuse with a CB here or there within the same bike.

NO,not me, it would run poorly and cut out but NOT loose all electrical power.

Why didn't he ask if the speedo was working or the directional signals canceling?

I did tell him i lost all on the dash, including the speedo.
i dont know anything involving the speedo, theory tells me there has to be something shorting out to lose power, engine, dash power, then come back on. then happen again, and it didnt really happen at any speed, because i only went 20 feet, then stalled or 500 feet. the bike just shuts off, and no power, then power comes back on, and youcan hear the fuel pump run, then it starts, then dies
Any ideas where to start, since i have several weeks to get to the dealer, getting desperate.....

One more shot here.....:D

How about your ignition switch being it's loosing all power and the pump runs then? If the contacts are worn in the switch or if the wires on the back of the switch are green/corroded or broken, there may be a solution there.

Try wiggling the switch when it's running and see if it cuts out. Then remove the switch and check the condition of the wires on the back.

One more shot here.....:D

How about your ignition switch being it's loosing all power and the pump runs then? If the contacts are worn in the switch or if the wires on the back of the switch are green/corroded or broken, there may be a solution there.

Try wiggling the switch when it's running and see if it cuts out. Then remove the switch and check the condition of the wires on the back.

hey Glider,
just tried ruunning the bike and wiggling the ingnition switch, no problem, i only have to move it a little for it to die. i wonder if ther is something under there?
i did check all the wires, that i could see, checked connections of sensore to make sure nothing came loose.
ran the bike (in my garage for about 10 minutes giving it soem throttle (sorry neighbors) and nothing, i worked al switches, brakes clutch.
very hesitant to go for a spin, since i know it will happen again, and i live on a hill.

but i think you gave me a great spot to check. let you know in a little

Also besides wiggling the switch, try turning it just a hair past the run position in both directions with the bike running and see what it does. Try tapping the switch too and see if it reacts.

Also besides wiggling the switch, try turning it just a hair past the run position in both directions with the bike running and see what it does. Try tapping the switch too and see if it reacts.

i did turn the switch just a hair to the middle, and all it needed was a hair to kill it when it was running, but it does not seem loose that it would do it on its own.
i am going to try remove the dash a take a gander underneath. anything i sure be aware of before i lift it off, say , something i could break?

Not too much to worry about. The harness will only let you lift it so far but look the back of the switch over well.

You may want to cover the tank so there is no mishaps as far as the paint.

Back